ID request at polling station

Daffodil

I went to my local polling station yesterday to vote with my polling card and passport. After producing my polling card I wasn't asked to show any further means of identification. How did they know I was the person mentioned on the polling card? I received 3 polling cards at my house for people who used to live there. Seeing as the authorities don't seem to care about looking for identification, I could have easily given the cards to strangers on the street - or to those people who were taken off the register !

Surely this is a flaw in the system?

I almost voted using my mother's polling card (took hers by mistake - my fault I know). When I explained that I didn't have my polling card with me all I had to do was give my name. I offered ID but I was told it wasn't needed...

Hel_n You should not have been allowed to vote without ID proving your address and name

My ID has my old address but they said this was fine as long as there was a picture and my name. They seemed to ask everyone for ID.

I was allowed to vote without a polling card and was not asked for ID. Mind you its a very small area so maybe the polling clerks had seen me around and knew me to see me?

maybe the polling clerks had seen me around and knew me to see me?[/quote]

That's just not on. The people who wanted to vote and were taken off the register should have just asked the clerk to pick another name off the list - seen as no ID was necessary.

The whole thing is very is a bit of a shambles. I'm beginning to wonder now if the result will really be a true reflection of what the country really thinks.

both myself and Mr. Bing had driving licences at the ready but when we offered them they were dismissed.

Myself and Mr A also pulled the house apart for passports and weren't asked for ID. Nor were the 2 in front or behind us. 1 in 4 eh?

I was asked when i voted at 7:30am. Produced a work photo id which was accepted.

So some people will get upset if
  • Everybody is asked for ID
  • Only some people are asked for ID
  • Nobody is asked for ID
Can't please all of the people all of the time? :confused:

Personally I think they should verify every voter's ID but then I guess we're into national ID card territory and that whole sort of debate...

people actually complained when i asked for ID yesterday! i asked at least 1 in 4 for ID, even the snotty woman who reported me to the supervisor cause she couldnt understand why at her age she was asked for ID....yes dear its like trying to get into a niteclub!

I have voted in every election and referendum for the past 28 years and I have yet to be asked for ID ...

I was asked just to show my picture on my driving licience. I also recieved two polling cards. one to my home address aswell.

My blue got asked for id too :)

I voted at around tea time yesterday and it was quite busy at the polling station as a lot of people were coming from work to vote. I had my polling card and my passport with me. Just handed in the polling card and I got my voting paper. I was not asked for any id.

The polling card is really only a card telling you that you are entitled to vote and where to go to vote. Its not really proof of identification. I have met a lot of people recently who tell me they never got any polling cards.

I really feel the system needs to be tightened up and everyone should be asked to produce id before being entitled to vote.

you will find that someone in the place knew who you were, As for myself the cop and there were 4 observers knew me although Ive seen some of the others before, My daughter was with us and she was asked for id, the same cop was in our house last sun dealing with break-ins of 4 of our vans last sat night and he knew us all, Its lucky I didn't see or hear the thief or they and you all would know us a lot better,

I went with ID, fully expecting to be asked. Was mystified when polling person greeted me by name. Hadn't a notion who she was, but she asked all about my family, work etc. and knew lots about me. Still hadn't a notion who she was. It was only when she started talking about her son that I realised it was the mother of someone in my primary school (30 years ago). Of course she then had to go on about his big job, house, wife, family, car.....I came out throughly sickened.but did vote!

Back