ICTUs 'Get Up, Stand Up campaign'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree, but you seemed happy enough to discuss it and indeed label it as fiction on this thread right up until it was pointed out that they had made reasonable corrections in their figures to ensure a more accurate like-for-like comparisson.

Latrade I like you work for a living and have other pulls on my time besides AAM.

You are not being fair to me by suggesting I have given up or whatever thoughts were going through your head.

and if the cancer that is the present trade union movement get their way I know that as a nation we will be facing into decades of gloom and depression.

It is simplistic to suggest that unions are our sole problem either in the past or in the future.

Thats not true.

They used a propensity score matching approach that allowed them to to look at and give greater emphasis to job characteristics rather than human characteristics.
The database that all the ESRI analyses were based on has no information about job content. It has no information about the work that people do, probably because this information doesn't lend itself to being structured in a database form. None of the ESRI reports looked at job content.

The argument that 'the banks caused this problem so they should pay for it not the poor ordinary workers' doesn't make sense.
We all bought into the illusion - well most of us did.

I didn't hear unions shout don't pay our workers higher rates because the economic fundamentals are not sound. The rates of pay we all enjoyed were only affordable because we had a property bubble. The bubble has now well and truly burst.

Aswell as major reform of how we do our jobs in the public service we need to accept substantial adjustments in pay to reflect the economic realities that we now face as a nation.

I will not be joining the day of protest - I hope to be in my classroom doing my job.

The argument that 'the banks caused this problem so they should pay for it not the poor ordinary workers' doesn't make sense.
We all bought into the illusion - well most of us did.

I didn't hear unions shout don't pay our workers higher rates because the economic fundamentals are not sound. The rates of pay we all enjoyed were only affordable because we had a property bubble. The bubble has now well and truly burst.

Aswell as major reform of how we do our jobs in the public service we need to accept substantial adjustments in pay to reflect the economic realities that we now face as a nation.

I will not be joining the day of protest - I hope to be in my classroom doing my job.
Well said, I agree 100%

Sidzer, I fully agree with your post. If this strike goes ahead chances, are you will in the staff room. Do you mind if I ask are you in a union? Am considering my own sisuation at the moment.

What's the standard sentence for assaulting a union official I wonder? It might be worth it. ;)

Although knowing their influence the sentence is probably death. :rolleyes:
This is completely inappropriate, with or without smileys. You need to remove it.

Second, there are more reports that the CSO. The IBEC quarterly business survey has far more accurate statistics direct from employers about cuts.
You are joking, right? You believe that an in-house IBEC survey is 'more accurate' than a CSO report! So the CSO which has the best statisticians in the country, and the statutory weight to oblige employers to report is less accurate than some flimsy IBEC yoke? Get off the stage, will ya and get real.

Well that and an addition 200,000 on the live register.
Many of whom came from the public sector - the private sector don't have a monopoly on job losses.

Interesting to see the union brethern take such a blatant partisan approach - openly calling on private sector workers to pay extra taxes to protect pay levels in the PS. They obviously believe that they have the muscle to force the government to impose even more taxes, to avoid cutting their PS members pay.
Very many tens of thousands of private sector employees were made compulsory redundant this year - whilst not one permanent PS employee has suffered the same faith.
Speaking of blatant partisanship, let's look at the full picture. Taxes are not just paid by private sector workers. Taxes are paid by everybody with substantial income. The beauty of the tax system is its general fairness. Those who earn, pay. Those who don't, don't. If you're pay has been cut, you pay less. If your pay is low, you pay nothing. Private sector workers don't have a monopoloy on tax.

Private sector workers don't have a monopoly on job losses. Many fixed-term contract and agency staff in the public sector have already lost their jobs. All other contract staff will lose their jobs as their current contracts expire.

And for the record, the public sector is the one sector where EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE has already taken their share of the pain through the pension levy.

The CSO - who I've huge respect for - gave a figure of around 3000 for the reduced figured working in the public sector. This figure would include retirements.

To be honest I would have thought it would be more, perhaps they never fully included contractors in the first place? If so that raises even more questions.

Even so looks like the private sector is providing almost all of the the live register increase.

(Odd to see the CSO defended here when last week public servants were deriding it because they couldn't get their heads around the simple idea of a gross wage comparison.)

I'd agree, but you seemed happy enough to discuss it and indeed label it as fiction on this thread right up until it was pointed out that they had made reasonable corrections in their figures to ensure a more accurate like-for-like comparisson.

Who says they were reasonable?

Simple question how on earth can you possibly compare a fully trained Garda with a security guard, even with all the reasonable corrections in the world you are never going to get it right.

My own thoughts would be

1 to pick 10 countries at random.

2 get their GNP of the 10 countries.

3 get the wages of the various police officers in the 10 countries

4 get the average police officer wage

5 then compare Irelands GNP to the average GNP of the 10 countries

6 using the difference in porportion figure out what the wage should be.

I have no idea what the wage would be but it sure would be more accurate than what the ERSI came out with

And for the record, the public sector is the one sector where EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE has already taken their share of the pain through the pension levy.

This is not true! ESB employees are a large and important part of the public sector yet do not pay the pension levy. Indeed they got a 3% increase! Hardly sharing the pain!

And Judges who are part of the Public service do not pay this levy.

It is true to say however that nearly all employees of the public service pay the levy.

You think it is funny that 380,000 people have taken a pay cut.

I'd say the funny part is the notion that a cut of about 4% of net pay for public servants represents the full extent of the contribution they need to make in addressing runaway public spending

This is not true! ESB employees are a large and important part of the public sector yet do not pay the pension levy. Indeed they got a 3% increase! Hardly sharing the pain!

And Judges who are part of the Public service do not pay this levy.

It is true to say however that nearly all employees of the public service pay the levy.

The ESB workers are not goverment employees and not paid by the govt

I'd say the funny part is the notion that a cut of about 4% of net pay for public servants represents the full extent of the contribution they need to make in addressing runaway public spending

People keep saying the pension levy goes into the pension fund and they get it back when they retire, they don't.

DerKaiser is the pension levy a pay cut or not?

It didn't affect gross pay, so it's not a pay cut.

Public sector employees are contributing more to cover the cost of (very lucrative) pensions.

Consider also that wages across the private sector have been falling over the last few months, so the cost of living will go down. In effect, by standing still, the public sector will experience a pay rise.

Well yeah, as I've said it's an approximate cut in net pay of 4% on average.

The following will all happen in both public and private sectors over the next few years:
Job losses
Pay cuts
Higher Taxes
Service cutbacks

It would be naive to think that any pain suffered to date will be the end of it.

Many of whom came from the public sector - the private sector don't have a monopoly on job losses..

Ahem... http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1018290.shtml

You wanna explain how 2700 can be classified as 'many' compared to 209000 ?

Considering contract staff are constantly 'hoping' their contracts will be extended, rather than 'expecting' that, it's hard to see how they can be considered casualties of the Public Sector layoffs, as no redundancy pay will be paid. Temp staff the same.

But sure Public sector staff have 'shared the pain' I suppose, Complainer ? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back