Ice Maker Machine

RainyDay

Anyone got any experiences with domestic ice-making machines? I don't want to get the full size american fridge, but I'd love the luxury of having ice available on tap (pun intended) without the hassle of ice trays or ice bags. I've seen [broken link removed] available in the US, but I've never seen anything here in Ireland.

I'd love to hear first-hand experiences of others on this matter.

I saw a free standing model that sits on your counter in Powercity the other day. i think it was in the region of 150-200 euro. Have never owned one so can not say whether they are any use or not. i am considering purchasing one though.

OK - so I picked up one of [broken link removed] today. The bad news is that it is too big to fit on the kitchen worktop, but I managed to find a corner in the conservatory where it fits nicely. The very bad news is that the manual says that you can't store ice in the machine for more than 'a short period'. Ice should be moved to a freezer instead. This would involve the kind of fiddling round with freezer bags etc that I was trying to get away from - it kind-of defeats the purpose of getting the machine in the first place.

Any ideas as to how long I could safely leave ice in the machine, without having to transfer it to the freezer?

I presume it says to move the ice to a freezer as the temp isn't low enough to stop bacteria breeding? If that's the case then I would think 2/3 days would be the most I'd store it in your ice making machine.

I store ice in the freezer in a plastic box w. no lid so I can just scoop out what I need; as long as you don't let it melt it won't clump. That might be another option for you?

Anyone got any experiences with domestic ice-making machines? I don't want to get the full size american fridge, but I'd love the luxury of having ice available on tap (pun intended) without the hassle of ice trays or ice bags. I've seen [broken link removed] available in the US, but I've never seen anything here in Ireland.

I'd love to hear first-hand experiences of others on this matter.

there is a machine in lidl at the moment. [broken link removed]

I presume it says to move the ice to a freezer as the temp isn't low enough to stop bacteria breeding? If that's the case then I would think 2/3 days would be the most I'd store it in your ice making machine.

I store ice in the freezer in a plastic box w. no lid so I can just scoop out what I need; as long as you don't let it melt it won't clump. That might be another option for you?
Thanks Kildrought - That's a possibility. Do you make your ice in a machine?
there is a machine in lidl at the moment. [broken link removed]
Yep, that's the one I mentioned in my earlier post.

If you have the space, would you consider and american style ff? We have one, its brilliant for the chilled water and ice! dont know how I lived without it! I have the Samsung model, cost €1140. I do keep a small freezer inthe utility room as well though. The samsung one is quite neat and doesnt look huge, we didnt build it in. I've seen smaller cheaper whirlpool ones but the doors jut out a bit.

Nope, don't use a machine - I use the plastic ice bags and do a batch at a time. Never really considered a machine to be honest - don't drink enough :)

Back