IBOOD offer on DELL laptop - a good deal ?

TarfHead

Today's offer on IBOOD, a DELL laptop, has me thinking maybe this is a good opportunity to replace my desktop.

Features include .

Brand: Dell Good
Type: Inspiron 1764 model launched a year ago
I3 370M 2.40GHz Intel Core processor Good
Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64bit OS)
17.3 “(1600×900) WLED display HD + Good
4096MB 1067Hz DDR3
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450
QWERTY keyboard
500GB 5400rpm SATA
4-watt (2 x 2W) High Definition Audio 2.0 Stereo Speakers with SRS Premium Sound Good no need for external speakers
Color: Ice Blue

EUR 430, plus 12.50 (approx.) for P&P

I'm tempted to buy. Can you offer a reason why this is not good value ?

Today's offer on IBOOD, a DELL laptop, has me thinking maybe this is a good opportunity to replace my desktop.

Features include .

Brand: Dell Good
Type: Inspiron 1764 model launched a year ago
I3 370M 2.40GHz Intel Core processor Good
Windows 7 ® Home Premium (64bit OS)
17.3 “(1600×900) WLED display HD + Good
4096MB 1067Hz DDR3
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450
QWERTY keyboard
500GB 5400rpm SATA
4-watt (2 x 2W) High Definition Audio 2.0 Stereo Speakers with SRS Premium Sound Good no need for external speakers
Color: Ice Blue

EUR 430, plus 12.50 (approx.) for P&P

I'm tempted to buy. Can you offer a reason why this is not good value ?

It's quite large at 17" if I am reading that correctly. Kind of large to carry around but if you are replacing your desktop, it's a lot more mobile than that. I got two good laptops on Currys-PC world online (eBay in fact). Not huge ram (one is a netbook). Both good do far - priced about stg£249 - 269. Slim

17" OK for home use but not really portable. Can you get an extended Dell maintenance agreement for it? (If you need to use it, its actually very good, done by an outside contractor)
When Laptops have problems they can be expensive to fix.

Thanks
Portability is not important to me. I'm thinking of the smaller footpront of a laptop on the desk, replacing a desktop with a full CRT-style monitor.

Given that the spec is approx. 12 months old, do you know if I could get, for example, an i5 processor for the same spend ?

That's a very good price for that spec laptop, as a desktop replacement it will be perfect and is very well speced, the processor is also more than adequate for daily computing and with those specs it would even be able for quite demanding applications.

For the next time: Laptop Buying Guide: Making Sense of the Specifications [broken link removed]

Back