Ibis Hotel, Cork

Sim Two

Thinking of booking the Ibis hotel in Cork for a couple of nights in early February?

Any reports - good or bad - about this place?

How far away from the Opera House would the Ibis Hotel be?

Thanks

Ibis is near the tunnel in Cork - on dublin road. About 15 mins by taxi in light traffic to opera house. Nearest hotel to the opera house would probably be jurys. It just reopened in Oct after being completely rebuilt. If you are looking for cheaper option you could go for Jurys Inn. Its about 10mins walk to opera house.

Good hotels within walking distance are Jurys , Jurys Inn, Metropole, Imperial.

All good standard (Jurys Inn a little more basic) but you can walk to all the central shops, pubs and clubs from these. Jurys hotel is a little further out than the others.

I would recommend the Imperial above the others.

B & B there should be about 70-80 pps.

the place is ok if u are driving...the good point about them is that they are cheap. they do have a restaurant too. basic reasonally priced food.

Jury's is better but so as the price..more expensive..

there is also a hotel on the mulgrave road just over the bridge from the opera house and near everything but i can't think of the name of it just now
it's in the old northside hospital..
the ibis is nowhere at all.. u might as well stay at home and commute to the opera house

That is the Shandon Court, Quality Hotel Chain. Yes, would be less than 10 mins walk (down hill) from the Opera House.

Stayed in the IBIS a year or two ago. Typical modern travel style hotel. It was clean and staff were friendly. Breakfast was charged extra but you got your monies worth. It is a good bit out from the city but no problems getting taxies in or out of the city. WOuld not go there on my honeymoon but it was generaaaly good.

try this website, and type in the name of the hotel, in the serach menu it gives you all the rates from previous guest that stayed there, I found it great esp if i was going abroad or stayin in ireland on hols

Thinking of booking the Ibis hotel in Cork for a couple of nights in early February?

Any reports - good or bad - about this place?

How far away from the Opera House would the Ibis Hotel be?

Thanks

I stay in this place regularly for one night business trips and its fine for what it is. A large number of the guests are long term workers who stay 4 nights a week and go home at weekends. TBH you would be better off staying in town. It will cost more but you will get much nicer and avoid the expense of all the taxis.(Its a good few miles out of town)

OK, thanks for comments re Ibis.

What about the Clarion Hotel on Lapps Quay?

Sim

One of the nicest hotles in Cork if not the entire country. Great design and location. A very different class of hotel with prices to match. Good late deals may be had though. If the budget stretches go for it.

i'd definitely go for the Clarion. Its a beautiful hotel. My elderly grandparents stayed there and the staff were really nice to them, went out of their way to help make their stay better.

OK, took the plunge and booked the Clarion.

1) Has anyone eaten in the hotel restaurant - would you recommend it? If not, can anyone recommend a restaurant near the Hotel?

2) And for the second night of the stay, any recommendations for a restaurant near the Opera House?

Thanks

OK, took the plunge and booked the Clarion.

1) Has anyone eaten in the hotel restaurant - would you recommend it? If not, can anyone recommend a restaurant near the Hotel?

2) And for the second night of the stay, any recommendations for a restaurant near the Opera House?

Thanks

There is a bar/asian restaurant in the hotel that is apparantly very popular with both the guests and locals alike. I haven't had the food there myself but it looked pretty good and was reasonably priced. Can't help on Q2 but TBH any restaurant in the centre would do. Cork's not that big!

There are three good restaurants all within 1 minute walk of Opera House, you can actually see the Opera House from each of these!

Aroma (nice Chinese)

Luigi Malones (American style I suppose - nice burgers pizzas etc and good atmosphere)

Eastern Tandoori (Indian - I am not Indian fan but it is supposed to be good!)

I would second Aroma, great food, friendly staff.

I heard Luigi Malones is quite good but you're looked after better if you're in a large group.

Back