Iberdrola Electricity leaves Ireland

SDMXTWO

So since 8th June Iberdrola will no longer supply my electricity, so I will automatically be transferred to Electric Ireland. This morning I went to login to Iber and have no access to see my balance or past history, maybe it is just a glitch but I need some of the stats. The other matter is Iber offered the choice of paying through mybills.ie on a weekly basis and this suited me fine, get bill divide x 8 etc. Do I continue to pay into my Iber acc in my bills and hope Electric Ireland will get the money.

Last edited:
I cannot answer your question sorry @SDMXTWO but just wanted to point out to you and others that you will be transferred on to the 'Standard' rate with Bord Gais and Electric Ireland when you transfer over from Iberdrola, even if you were on a fixed discount rate. The discount rates can be 20-40% so this will mean significantly higher bills if you don't get onto a discount plan with your new provider ASAP.

Very unfortunate the CRU didn't find a way for the new providers to honour discounted contracts or ensure the new providers pointed out very clearly in their welcome letters that the rate you were going on to was likely to be much more expensive than the rate you may have been on with Iberdrola.

This is the email I received:
Iberdrola is closing, your electricity supply will not be affected
Hello from Electric Ireland,

Electric Ireland have been asked by The Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) to step in and take over your electricity supply. While you are with Electric Ireland you will receive the lowest standard unit rate in the market with our Standard Residential Tariff.

However, we would like to offer you the opportunity to enjoy even more savings and rewards by signing up to one of our best electricity price plans. We have made the sign-up process very easy for you, simply visit our website or one of our sales agents will be happy to sign you up over the phone at 1800 30 50 90.

You can of course move to another supplier after 1 September 2022. Throughout this process you will find the latest information on our website . We are delighted to have you as a customer and are committed to making this process as easy as possible for you.

We will be back in touch within the next two weeks with an update.

Kind Regards,
The Electric Ireland Team

If Electric Ireland are not honouring the discounts (unless you sign up to a new plan with them) how can they force customers to stay with them until 1st September, 2022?

For example, if you wanted to avail of the Bord Gais Duel Fuel plan you cannot until 1st September.

Do I continue to pay into my Iber acc in my bills and hope Electric Ireland will get the money.
That would require Iberdrola to keep their receiving account open, figure out you're trying to pay EI, then transfer the money to them and hope EI can figure out what account it should be applied to. I can't see all that happening. You can pay EI directly from MyBills, but you'll need to set that up separately once you have the account details.

If Electric Ireland are not honouring the discounts (unless you sign up to a new plan with them) how can they force customers to stay with them until 1st September, 2022?

For example, if you wanted to avail of the Bord Gais Duel Fuel plan you cannot until 1st September.
They did have possibly the most expensive unit rate on the market at 35.5c + vat RATES so customers should be happy that they are out of this. Electric Ireland standard rates (with no paperless or DD discounts) are 20% lower. Take the Electric Ireland discounted plan and you are 45% lower than Iberdrola.

I'd be happy with that

They did have possibly the most expensive unit rate on the market at 35.5c + vat RATES so customers should be happy that they are out of this. Electric Ireland standard rates (with no paperless or DD discounts) are 20% lower. Take the Electric Ireland discounted plan and you are 45% lower than Iberdrola.

I'd be happy with that
Agreed for those on Standard Rates. Lot of people are not though, Iberdrola actually contacted you each year to try and push you onto a cheaper fixed rate, for any of these people who don’t pay attention to this change they’re about to see a chunky increase in their bill.

I am affected by this also.

I was on a significantly discounted rate with Ibderola for gas and electricity for a number of years. For the last three years, I have shopped around and elected to switch providers and been contacted by Ibderola and offered to continue on the same terms, which I have done.

I now find myself with Bord Gais for gas, which I don't mind except I am told that I am locked into Bord Gais until September, at rates significantly over and above what I was paying and my only option to avail of a better rate from Bord Gais is to sign up to a new 12 month contract, which is not the most economically available rate for my current usage profile.

I don't understand why my existing contract with Ibderola was not honoured?

If it's not being honoured, I don't understand how I am somehow bound to Bord Gais until September, I have not signed or consented to anything with Bord Gais, however when I contact other providers, they tell me they are forbidden from dealing with me as a customer until after September.

How is it that I cannot switch now to another provider and just pay Bord Gais for any usage between Ibderola exiting and my switching?

I have attempted to contact the CRU but it is simply a answering machine - utterly useless.

Agreed for those on Standard Rates. Lot of people are not though, Iberdrola actually contacted you each year to try and push you onto a cheaper fixed rate, for any of these people who don’t pay attention to this change they’re about to see a chunky increase in their bill.
Did they offer personal customers fixed rates? - I thought it was just discounted off variable. Panda used to always call me and get an extra year agreed but then I realised that 30% off their standard rate was a lot more expensive than 26% off Electric Ireland rates.

Also affected by this, so we're forced to stay with Bord Gais and Electric Ireland until September 1st... seems fair...

I am affected by this also.
Seems badly organised. I have no answer as yet to my original question at the start. How do I pay my bill weekly, have had nothing from EI bar an informal on how to read a bill. I am continuing to pay into mobiles.ie as I have no account number for EI. Do I have to actually sign up as a new customer or has it moved and I just do not have the info yet. Also my Iber acc is now closed leaving me with no data on monthly usage etc to refer to. I'm afraid they will just send a massive bill and demand a DD. Fuming.

Back