I wouldn't dream of investing in equities over a period of just 4 years

im pretty sure thirty year u.s treasuries have beaten the s + p since the year 2000 , not quite twenty years but close enough

bonds are very expensive today , especially in europe , european equities are no higher than ten years ago, they seem incredibly cheap compared to bunds for example

im pretty sure thirty year u.s treasuries have beaten the s + p since the year 2000 , not quite twenty years but close enough
That is correct and we have recently seen a thirty-year period where 20-year US treasuries beat the S&P500. However, I specifically referred to five-year US treasuries.

The pricing of any liquid, publicly traded security already reflects the market consensus view.

my mistake , i overlooked where you specifically referred to five year treasuries

No problem GBI.

I actually think you highlighted an excellent point that we all understand intellectually but behaviourly we always forget or ignore - that past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Prior to September 2011, it was accurate to say that US stocks had beaten long-term US treasuries over every single 30-year holding period since the US civil war. Can't say that anymore.

In fact, there isn't a single major developed market that I know of where domestic stocks have beaten domestic long-term government bonds over every single 30-year holding period.

I'm not suggesting that I have a clue how things are going to pan out over the next 30 years - I don't. I can make guesses. I can formulate probabilities based on historic data and current valuations. But at the end of the day, I really don't have a clue what's going to happen.

We all want to extrapolate the future from what happened in the past. Unfortunately, markets don't work like that.

while i realise there are many variables , might it be likely that the huge involvement of central banks this past twenty years has been the biggest thing to determine which way bonds went in comparison to stocks

i think this is especially the case in the eurozone , i was checking out how the spanish , italian and french stock market performance since the mid nineties on a site yesterday , in the case of france , the market high was way back in 2000 , in the case of spain and italy , its even further back , spains market is still more than 40% below its 2007 high and the ibex 35 is no higher today than in 1998 , so in the case of three pretty major european economies , bonds have absolutely hammered stocks for twenty years , now i dont know if this is down to the creation of a single currency union and a european central bank which many believe especially hurt the economy of italy and favoured others , germanys market has never been higher and bar the 2009 and 2012 heart attacks , has almost done as well as the u.s market since 2000

the ECB is a relatively new player in the markets so perhaps history doesnt teach as much with draghi and co in such an influential position nowadays ?

In everything you must have to take a risk. Just like the popular saying that goes: it is even risky not to take a risk. Business is one of the area you should always be ready to figure out new ways of doing things.