I wouldn't dream of investing in equities over a period of just 4 years

Discussion in 'Investments' started by Sarenco, May 27, 2017.

1. galway_blow_in

galway_blow_in Frequent Poster

im pretty sure thirty year u.s treasuries have beaten the s + p since the year 2000 , not quite twenty years but close enough

bonds are very expensive today , especially in europe , european equities are no higher than ten years ago, they seem incredibly cheap compared to bunds for example

2. Sarenco

Sarenco Frequent Poster

That is correct and we have recently seen a thirty-year period where 20-year US treasuries beat the S&P500. However, I specifically referred to five-year US treasuries.

The pricing of any liquid, publicly traded security already reflects the market consensus view.

3. galway_blow_in

galway_blow_in Frequent Poster

my mistake , i overlooked where you specifically referred to five year treasuries

Sarenco likes this.
  4. Sarenco

Sarenco Frequent Poster

No problem GBI.

I actually think you highlighted an excellent point that we all understand intellectually but behaviourly we always forget or ignore - that past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Prior to September 2011, it was accurate to say that US stocks had beaten long-term US treasuries over every single 30-year holding period since the US civil war. Can't say that anymore.

In fact, there isn't a single major developed market that I know of where domestic stocks have beaten domestic long-term government bonds over every single 30-year holding period.

I'm not suggesting that I have a clue how things are going to pan out over the next 30 years - I don't. I can make guesses. I can formulate probabilities based on historic data and current valuations. But at the end of the day, I really don't have a clue what's going to happen.

We all want to extrapolate the future from what happened in the past. Unfortunately, markets don't work like that.