I think Bank Lost My House Deeds- Now What?

M

macy9

I have been trying since last January to get my house deeds back from my bank (i have paid off my mortgage). I have literally called them once a week for 8 months and they keep telling me that they will get back to me/and or solicitor.

And still nothing.

It appears as though they have lost them. Is an 8 month wait insane? :eek:

I want to sell my house but it would be difficult without the deeds. Im not in a hurry but want to at least do it this year.

Any suggestions, thoughts, advice?

Go into your bank and create a scene at the counter, this happened us with a insurance policy they were holding. Like you we paid off Mortgage and wanted it back. Make a big scene and do not be afraid to do it, you will get it back even if it is a copy.

If you intend selling in due course you will need a solicitor so i would suggest you contact your solicitor to establish the facts. Did he / she get the deeds back from the mortgage lender with all release matters attended to? If heshe sent same to your bank then your solicitor should follow up matters. If bank cannot find the documents it is unlikely they will have a copy and in any event this is not much use. Are you sure the mortggage lender actually released the deeds. apologies for the ramb ling nature of my remarks.

Go into your bank and create a scene at the counter, this happened us with a insurance policy they were holding. Like you we paid off Mortgage and wanted it back. Make a big scene and do not be afraid to do it, you will get it back even if it is a copy.

I would never advise this course of action. I think its just rude. It's also focussing all of the frustration on front line staff.

Why not write a very formal letter seeking a very formal response within a specified period of time, failing which you will take the matter up through your solicitor with the attendant costs.

Or do as dewdrop says and talk to a solicitor and have them deal with the bank?

mf

Hi

You can make a formal complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman's Bureau. There was a similar case in their 2009 report where the bank lost the deeds and the Ombudman cleared it up. Firstly, you have to request a 'final response' letter from the bank who have 25 days to issue this. Go to financialombudsman.ie for further details.

thanks for all the replies.

I will have my solicitor write to them and then go to the ombudsman.

I'll let you know what happens.

this happened with the house we are buying. the owner threatened to sue the bank and they found the deeds within a day or so

there is always the possibility that the deeds are mislaid in the banks filing system. Years ago some bank branches kept the deeds but later on matters became centralised and then it was more difficult to trace a misfiled bundle of deeds. Consequently it is important to clarity matters as soon as possible and your solicitor should suggest a deadline and documents cannot be produced your solicitor will ask the bank to defray all expenses in creating a "new" set.

update:

The bank have told my solicitor that the delay is due to the Treasury Department having the deeds. I still don't understand why it would take 9 months though. Also, previously the bank said they had ''no paper trail''with regards to my mortgage etc.

Back