I sold a property, yet ROS says I owe LPT.

world201812

I sold a property in April 2017, and logged into my Revenue/ROS account a little earlier to find that according to ROS I am due to pay property tax for the year, Jan 2017-Dec 2017.

This is clearly incorrect, but it lists me as having tax clearance cert rescinded.

How do I get this rectified online? The solicitor handling the sale apportioned everything at the time, from management fees to LPT, so why is this showing online still?

So, the LPT liability as per Revenue website was 90.00 for year, yet I’ve gone through the document from the solicitor at the time and it shows 64.45 of the LPT was apportioned to the new purchaser, and makes sense as was a third of the year approximately through the year.

My ROS states:

Your application for a Tax Clearance Certificate has been refused because of the reasons summarised below

Who do I get on to? The solicitor who sold it? Or Revenue?

LPT should have been paid up to the year you sold, it is part of the conveyancing process, go back to your Solicitor, it is possible the funds were not sent to Revenue or did not reach the relevant are, sounds like a book keeping error.

LPT should have been paid up to the year you sold
Up to AND including that year. When I bought, the tax had already been paid in full for that year so I paid back to the seller the portion of the year from the sale date onwards through my solicitor.

It sounds as if the solicitor allocated the tax correctly between the seller and the buyer but no one actually paid the tax - the seller should have paid as they recouped 2/3rds from the buyer

Did you pay the LPT for 2017?

That's the start and finish of it.

I ask my vendors to provide me with a print out of their LPT history including showing full payment for the current year. If a vendor is paying on a monthly basis, this can cause confusion but Revenue don't accept apportionments for the year. Its all or nothing.

I suspect what happened here is that the vendor was to pay the LPT but didn't. The person liable for LPT for each year is the owner as at 1.11 in the year prior.

mf

[QUOTE="iamaspinner, post Up to AND including that year

Agreed up to the year you sold...if you sell in April 2019 it is paid for year 2019, That is what I said

Thanks all for the advice. I rang Revenue. It had been paid, in 2017, but had been paid late so hence why it said 'Tax Clearance Rescinded', so I basically re-applied online and all sorted.

Back