I should 'of'...

"should of" instead of "should've" drives me mad - should of just makes no sense, no matter what way you look at it. And I try, I really try to understand how or why people make mistakes like that.

Replacing "given" with "giving" is another one that drives me up the wall. I had a nice little blog rant about that last year - I can understand how people might get the two mixed up if they're not great at spelling (sort of) but I've actually heard it in at least one film and there's no excuse for professional writers. Actually, I don't think there's any excuse for professional actors either, who in general I'd probably assume to at least have a bit more interest in the language than most. But Josh Duhamel seemed to find nothing wrong in saying it, the two other adults in the scene didn't seem to find it strange not to mention all the crew, the director etc. and everyone in editing it afterwards. Absolutely astounding. There's a "could of" instead of "could've" in Silver Linings Playbook (the book, not the film), too.

This thread reminds me of a cartoon a friend of mine sent to me one time...How do you comfort a grammar pedant? Pat them gently on the back, whispering softly 'there, their, they're' :D
Ha! :D

I think that the principle reason people write these words wrong is because they don't understand the basic principals of spelling. Even if they do understand them, they loose concentration easily. This wrecklessness doesn't really effect me that much.
Now my head hurts and I kind of want to cry. :D

I heard a reporter on RTE main news saying recently

"Apparently the accused had went to a different building..."

I was really shocked at this. It was a pre-recorded item so I thought that an editor would have corrected it.

I heard that very report also and was very surprised.

Did I hear Alan Shatter on Radio 1 yesterday morning referring to our police force as the Gardar?

Did I hear Alan Shatter on Radio 1 yesterday morning referring to our police force as the Gardar?

Yes I think thats what he said. It is as bad as the newstalk presenter who refers to our police force as the Gadaí (the Robbers)!

It is as bad as the newstalk presenter who refers to our police force as the Gadaí (the Robbers)!

I don't know the pwesenteh in question, but a lot of people awe unable to pronounce theih "rs". So it's ok for them to refer to the Gadaí even if the translation is unfawtunate.

I know this might sound a bit pedantic, but why do presenters pronounce insulation with a 'h' - i.e. inshulation. This pronunciation is everywhere now, but maybe I'm the one getting it wrong!

A very popular word in the news in recent weeks is "remuneration". I often hear it mispronounced as "renumeration".

I find myself correcting the radio speaker when I hear it - probably just as well I'm in the car at the time :)

I got very irritated with an editor in work once and left a note for him

'it's = it is
its' = theirs'

That worked, but then I had to start on FAQ's...!

I was telling my mother today about the "I should of..." and she pointed out that earlier in the discussion, I had said to someone "If I was you..." whereas it should be "If I were you..."

I have just checked and the incorrect form occurs 180 times on askaboutmoney compared to 380 times for the correct form.

Brendan

On another forum, of which I am a member, posters frequently invite people to 'bare' with them... I'd rather not, brrrrrr, too chilly!

Goes back hundreds of years to when in the majority of houses had only the ground as a floor. i.e. no timber or tiles.

I think it's ok to have misspellings in casual chats on forums, but anybody who is payed to write columns or reports should hang their head in shame.

Back