I overstayed my J-1 visa almost 22 years ago (for 76 days)

Lulle369

Hi. I’m a Norwegian female who worked as an au-pair in the US almost 22 years ago. Stuff happened (nothing criminal) and eventually I moved out from my host family and into a friends house. I had a J-1 visa, and I believe that means I have to leave the country immediately. I didn’t – and stayed for another 76 days and went back home to Norway.

I visited the US two times after; once later the same year (1997/1998) for 30 days. Then again in 2001 (I believe). In 2001 I applied for a tourist Visa and got it.

I have now bought two tickets to visit the US in May next year. I’m taking my daughter with me, and staying at a friends house for 10 days.

I’m now about to apply for an EFTA-visa, and it asks if I ever overstayed. Should I say yes to this question – since it’s been so long, or should I skip it?

Thank you for your response

Skip it and you may be turned back at the border resulting in a loss of the cost of the tickets and ruined vacation, best to be upfront, you are older now and have visited since your overstay which are positives to your ESTA application, worst case is that you may have to visit the Embassy if refused an online application, no big deal there.

Has your name changed on the passport, eg, married name now? If so, I would certainly not mention it and to be honest, I wouldn't say anything anyway about 22 years ago.

Did you have any trouble either when leaving the USA on the first occasion or applying to re-enter subsequently? If not, then I absolutely would definitely not mention anything as no record was made of it and they do not consider you to have overstayed. If anything ever comes up, it's a long time ago and you forgot all about it / didn't even realise you had overstayed. Seriously, you are being too scrupulous.

Much more to the point, do not imagine that coming clean will make anyone take pity on you and praise your integrity. The system is there to spit out non-compliance, and the INS (now USCIS and ICE) is just full of jobsworth people ready and willing to kick up a fuss. In your situation I would definitely not say that I had overstayed. If no record was ever made then I would consider that the "bureaucratic truth".

When you say you overstayed your visa, what do you mean? Do you mean that you stayed 76 days past the end of the visa end date or that you just stayed 76 days despite leaving employment. If it is the latter, I wouldn't say anything as they have no real way of knowing if they didn't catch you at the time. If it is the former I probably would as the entry date and exit dates on your visa's might create a problem especially now that all records are computerised.

Already applied and was not granted the EFTA-visa.

Was honest, but honesty obviously doesn't pay. Hope I can get some sort of different visa then - as this was a Christmas present for my 13-year old (a present she's already gotten so she'll get time to earn up Some spending money etc)

Last edited:
At 1:52 today you confirmed that you were going to apply for the EFTA visa and by 17:30 you had been turned down?

Jup. Applied at work. Got an email this evening asking if "yes" was the correct answer regarding my overstay. I confirmed, explained and got this email in return:

Thank you for the response to our questions.

"Due to the circumstances of your application, we will unfortunately not be able to process the travel authorization on your behalf. You will not be charged by our company.

You may apply for your own travel authorization (link not included as I'm not allowed) and pay USD 14 directly to the US Government.

However, we strongly recommend you to review further information about your situation and whether you should apply for a US travel authorization or obtain a Tourist Visa by visiting the following websites:

(I'm not allowed to post links - so they're deleted)

We hope this information can help regarding your intended visit to the United States.

Regards,

eVisa Online Service Team

______________________________________________________________________________________

It does not appear that you applied through the official US Govt site, you appear to have applied through one of the companies that offer the application service which is not required.

You have not been declined an ESTA.

Thanks. I've sent the application to the link you provided. Now I'll just have to wait and see.

I don't dare to lie either, reading that horrific story about the Irish guy

I'm guessing that he's wondering why you're fixing something that's not broken, ie, telling them about it.

On the other hand - reading what CAN happen, it's not worth the risk. And I DID get a tourist visa back in 01 based on all the information provided - so I don't see why I shouldn't get one now.

What's the difference between EFTA and visa anyway?

I'm guessing that he's wondering why you're fixing something that's not broken, ie, telling them about it.
You're right, I was. But then I read that newspaper article which sounds very close to the OPs own situation, and it gave pause for thought. So I zapped my post. :oops:

Meant ESTA. I keep writing it wrong. EFTA is something totally different (European Free Trade Association)

Back