I need some colour advice.

monkey0804

Hi there, our sitting room has recently been redecorated, and it's painted a walnut colour (it's the colour of milky coffee), skirting/architrave is chocolate, the couch is dark brown leather. I've coper coloured throw and cushions. Now that is done, it's all a bit dull (albeit nice), so I need to inject a bit of life into it, but can't seem to find the right color paint. Can anyone advise on a color (I know, I know, it's all down to personal choice, but I'd love some advice - I've gone through a million and five organe/red/rush color samples).

Thanks.

To lighten few cream cushions, throws. A soft very light kindof pale yellow or faded gold can work well. for a real injection of colour i would put red, burnt orange, terracote coloured cushions.

A colour that can really contrast but looks well with lots of browns is a kindof kinda aqua, eggshell blue.

I had a chocolate and aqua bathroom at my last house and it was really gorgeous, so can second Thrifty's suggestion.

Rebecca

Your walls are probably fine painted the colour they are but are in need of a bit of sparkle. You can't beat mirror, glass and gold trimmed accessories to add the twinkle factor. Put a nice big mirror framed in gold over the fireplace, add a chandelier (there are lots of smaller versions now) and get some reading lamps with glass bases. Add some texture with some magazine baskets in basketweave or a sheepskin throw. I love Perspex coffee tables.
I think you should change the paint colour of the skirting and architrave though. Chocolate and milky coffee is a bit too strong of a contrast. I would go for a cream colour /orchid white instead.

My sister has her house done exactly the same and she got lovely winey/deep red couloured big cushions in Penneys, and they really brightened up the place, they are gorgeous.

What about painting the focus wall (the one with the fireplace or the couch facing it) red/terracotta/burgandy

Dulux Tibetan Sunset is nice if you would go that bright, otherwise a Christmas holly berry type red would be gorgeous I think.

What colour are your curtains?

I think you should introduce a few strong accessories in to the room and leave the rest as is. I would think that a striking picture on the wall with a strong colour like red or burnt orange would be lovely and then add a lamp with a shade in the same colour and put one or two cushions with a hint of the colour you choose along with your existing cushions. Changing all your cushions would be a bit much colour-wise. I saw nice cushions in Dunnes that were brown with a small orange circles stiched so they didn't look too fussy. They'd be very nice if you were sticking with the copper theme. Coving would also be loving around the ceiling to finish off the room.

Back