i need a little help please - rent allowance

O

online1983

hi everyone

ok my story is that i have been living in a premises in dublin since June 2005
and my girlfriend pointed out we were entitled to get help in from the government in relation to renting, i was in contact with my landlord as i needed her pps and address but she called me and asked if she could pay us by cheque instead to save going through her accountant etc etc, (i dont know why - not registered perhaps or something ) but i want to know exactly how much we are entitled to per person, there are 4 in the house and the total rent €1080

any feedback greatly appreciated, if you need any further details i will be online and more than likely you will have a response fairly quickly!

thanks folks
J

Are you talking about [broken link removed]?

i was in contact with my landlord as i needed her pps and address but she called me and asked if she could pay us by cheque instead to save going through her accountant etc etc, (i dont know why )

may be because she does not pay tax on her rental income ;)

yes i am referring to tax relief for tennants
my problem is i do not know what i am entiltled to.
how do i calculate it

Thank You

i can see that my tax credit for 2006 is 1630 but how much of this am i entitled to claim back? is it the formula of multiplying that figure by 20% and thats my entitlement or am I wrong?

Thanks Again

Take the cheque from your landlord and then make your claim to Revenue after you've vacated the property. You can claim for 4 (I think) years retrospectively and all you need are your landlords name and contact details, not necessarilly her PPSN.

i can see that my tax credit for 2006 is 1630 but how much of this am i entitled to claim back? is it the formula of multiplying that figure by 20% and thats my entitlement or am I wrong?
That's correct. The credit of €1,630 is worth 20% of that or €326 into your hand. You can backdate claims for outstanding relief for up to 4 previous tax years.

ok thanks everybody

appreciate all the feedback

i have one more question we were in the house since june 2005 we had 3 ppl but one of the guys left and we took 2 more ppl in, they are living in ireland since september, are they entitled to claim anything or do they have to be in ireland 1 year before they can claim taxes?

Thanks again

The landlord doesn't grant you the tax relief. You claim it from Revenue and they pay it by cheque for backdated claims or increase your tax credits for ongoing relief.

yeah but i explained that she said she wants to pay us directly by cheque, ie not involve revenue for whatever reasons,but the main problem is she does not know of the 2 ppl we took in, in september 06. she woul have just said to get someone anyway but the point is she is not aware of it and if try to claim for them she could say that we cant prove how long they were living here. catch 22

yeah but i explained that she said she wants to pay us directly by cheque, ie not involve revenue for whatever reasons
That's not your problem. Sounds to me like she's attempting to evade tax. You should just notify Revenue of the rent that you pay and claim the tax credit. Her tax affairs are her own problem. Hopefully Revenue will pursue her if she is evading tax.

If you are asking how you can come to some arrangement with the landlord so she discounts your rent by the amount you would normally get in rent relief from Revenue then it sounds like you are trying to collude with her in evading tax and you won't get any help around here on that issue.

yeah but i explained that she said she wants to pay us directly by cheque, ie not involve revenue for whatever reasons,but the main problem is she does not know of the 2 ppl we took in, in september 06. she woul have just said to get someone anyway but the point is she is not aware of it and if try to claim for them she could say that we cant prove how long they were living here. catch 22

Throw all the existing ideas you have with respect to this relief into the bin because they are all over the shop.

Just read the link above.

If she wants to give you a cheque, fair enough, but it doesn't detract from your ability to claim this allowance. Similarly with the other tenants who have since left. It has nothing to do with the Landlord, it is down to the individual to sort out their own matters with revenue. If they want to claim that's their business, not yours OR the Landlords.

That's not your problem. Sounds to me like she's attempting to evade tax. You should just notify Revenue of the rent that you pay and claim the tax credit. Her tax affairs are her own problem. Hopefully Revenue will pursue her if she is evading tax.

If you are asking how you can come to some arrangement with the landlord so she discounts your rent by the amount you would normally get in rent relief from Revenue then it sounds like you are trying to collude with her in evading tax and you won't get any help around here on that issue.

hi clubman

sorry but i am not trying to help nobody evade nor do i want anybody to think i am doing same i just want what is mine, now she asked me would i take a cheque, i will take it as it is mine i dont care how she pays it, if it is evading tax that is something she is doing and i refuse to accept that i am being part of it!!

hi clubman

sorry but i am not trying to help nobody evade nor do i want anybody to think i am doing same i just want what is mine, now she asked me would i take a cheque, i will take it as it is mine i dont care how she pays it, if it is evading tax that is something she is doing and i refuse to accept that i am being part of it!!

Take the cheque and make your claim later.

i just want what is mine
So just claim it from Revenue.
now she asked me would i take a cheque
I don't understand this. Even if she refunds you part of the rent you can still claim rent relief on the remainder.
i will take it as it is mine
What's yours is the money that Revenue have deducted and which remains available to you to claim. If you can also get a discount on the rent from your landlady then that's great. But if you trying to keep Revenue out of it to facilitate her and potential tax evasion on her part then you are arguably as culpable as she is in this matter.

Post crossed with Howitzer's.

i am not TRYING to keep revenue out im just trying to make life easy supposing she is not registered or something who do i see, what do i say i have no details about her onlly her name.

i have always been honest but i just dont know how to go about it and i dont like being accused of trying to facilitate her with tax evasion i just dont know the absolute correct course of action

J

i am not TRYING to keep revenue out im just trying to make life easy supposing she is not registered or something who do i see, what do i say i have no details about her onlly her name.
You don't need any further details as far as I know. Revenue will most likely work out who she is themselves.
i have always been honest but i just dont know how to go about it and i dont like being accused of trying to facilitate her with tax evasion i just dont know the absolute correct course of action
So just claim the relief from Revenue and if you get a discount on the rent as well that's great.

Online1983,

I think the following seems to be your situation:

1. You are entitled to claim rent relief from the REVENUE on the rent you paid to your landlord. The claim that you are entitled to make should not involve your landlord - you are making the claim to the government.

2. It sounds like you landlord is offering to give you some money of your rent in exchange for you not claiming the relief that you are entitled to claim.

3. If you were sneaky, you could agree to this to get the cheque from the landlord and then still make the claim. This would mean you get the cheque from the landlord and separately you would get a refund from the Revenue. It is arguable that you are not assisting in the evading of tax. The only problem with this is the ethics and whether you wish to do your landlord out of the money.

4. If you agree to take the cheque from the landlord in exchange for not making the claim then as mentioend by Clubman you may well be as culpable as the landlord in evading tax.

Back