I need a little bit of help in changing jobs in the new year

Ilovemydog

I'll have to make some changes in the new year and look for other work.

Currently I'm a carer for a neighbour. It is something that I used to enjoy very much but I find it very stressful lately. Not only that my income is rubbish. If I continue I will wake up in 10/15 years time, approaching 50 with nothing to my name. I won't ever be able to go for a mortgage at the rate I'm going.

So I will need to get out from what I'm doing and seek out other work.

What can I possibly do or go into that will pay a decent wage? Something as well, Where I wouldn't be required to go to college and study for a degree. I'm not in a position to take up full time studies. I could consider part time/weekend or distance learning.

My work experience in the past has been mainly retail, hospitality, childcare. I don't want to go near any of them sectors again. They all have their pitfalls.

I was talking to my cousin recently and she did a complete and utter U-turn career wise. She trained and worked for a long time in the hospitality sector where she won many awards. Within the past few months she changed things around to where she is now working for a project engineering company. So, doing a complete U-turn is very possible.

What skills do you have?
What areas are you interested in?

Are you computer literate?
How's your typing?

Do you want to deal with the public?

What would skiIIs do I have?

I have transferrable skills like

Time management
The ability to work under pressure
Creativity
Self learning

To name a few.

What ares are you interested in?
I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Are you computer literate?
I would know the basics.

Hows your typing?
I used to love and enjoy typing when I was in school.

Do you want to deal with the public?
Christ no.

I would highly recommend that you see a qualified Careers Consultant. A complete & successful career U-turn is very possible and can be very rewarding.
However, it is important that you take your time and get expert advise from trained professional.

Would you consider doing a short course to be an SNA? Junior Cert is the minimum qualification for this job but most candidates would have undertaken some kind of course. It is not a very well paid job but you would be paid for school holidays.

What would skiIIs do I have?

I have transferrable skills like

Time management
The ability to work under pressure
Creativity
Self learning

To name a few.
They are all a bit vague and the sort of thing that everyone puts on their CV.

How about dog walking and minding if you have the space ? Very good business at the present minute.

Would you consider doing a short course to be an SNA? Junior Cert is the minimum qualification for this job but most candidates would have undertaken some kind of course. It is not a very well paid job but you would be paid for school holidays.

If the OP's response to working with the public is "Christ No", I'm not sure working with small children, especially those with special educational needs is the ideal career :eek:

How about retraining to be a but it would entail working with the public. Short training course. You would also have to check carefully if you would get the hours in any of your local hospitals or G.P. practices.

You don't mention if you drive?

How about dog walking and minding if you have the space ? Very good business at the present minute.

Lots and lots of dog walkers/minders out there. Would imagine that it is quite cut throat.

I went back to third level education at 28, two-three nights a week, in a completely different sector. Its hard work as I have children to juggle along with studies but I have one semester left and got through it with good results. Financially its €185 per module, with 4 modules in semester 1 of each year and 6 modules in semester 2. 2 modules in the summer. You have a few months at a time to pay your fees so it is stretched out and this makes it financially affordable for a lot in my course.

The biggest thing is that I love it, it has challenged me as a person and I got some confidence back. The career I'm moving into pays well also, far above what I could have earned before. I would suggest you contact your nearby colleges for brochures, go to open days / evenings, talk to current adult students and make a plan. The first thing I did was attend some open evenings and took home brochures, then I started by getting rid of the areas I knew I wouldn't like which left me with a narrower pool.

Its all well and good wanting to change careers, but you have to put the work in to make it possible. If you do it by night, you can still continue to work and pay your way.

Back