I minded my mother; her home left to my brother. Can I challenge it?

Glad you seem happy with the meeting.

Some observations based on what I see on their website and my own experience in this area.
Assuming this is the website for the people you met
http://www.pjf.ie/

I see the following:

[Value For Money
We charge based on the value of our work to you.

Many firms charge based only on the amount of time they spend on your work.
In this way, the slower they are, the more they charge! ]

The first line suggested their fees are % based on what they 'get for you'

The second sentence is the norm

The third sentence is not necessarily true.

In relation to the vow of silence implied by
They said it's probably best not to tell people about the whole thing where I can avoid it

I add the following from my own experience:

(Son) A feels aggrieved by the distribution of his late mothers assets via her last will and testament. He is left something but he is aggrieved.

He engages solicitor A, on a % fee basis, who tells him not to speak to anyone about the process, especially not his sisters and brother.

Son A tells Solicitor A, in writing, that 25k extra will do the job.

The process goes on for years when by accident he meets the brother in the Aviva at a rugby match and they go for a few scoops during which the brother asks why is A looking for 100K...

The case is now with the law society and the estate has been distributed with Son A getting his 25k from the others.

My last point is re
They did say though that if you win your case, your legal costs are usually paid for out of the estate

The act says here
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1965/en/act/pub/0027/sec0117.html#sec117

5) The costs in the proceedings shall be at the discretion of the court.

Best of luck with the project

They said it's probably best not to tell people about the whole thing where I can avoid it so I'll wait until everything is over to tell you all the details.

I'm going to try to avoid court if I can, so hopefully I'll never have to think about the huge costs you mentioned above. They did say though that if you win your case, your legal costs are usually paid for out of the estate (although in fairness, that might use up the inheritance in legal fees).

I find the first sentence strange, nothing wrong with posting on here with basic details.

Hope you have an absolutely clear idea of the costs, in writing, that you are aware that while costs are 'normally' taken from the estate that you are nevertheless fully liable. And that all this will cause bad blood and could eventually cost the estate dearly.

In relation to your mother basically disinheriting you despite the fact you moved in with her and took care of her, that should serve as a warning to others. If you are going to take care of elderly relations in the expectation of an inheritance get it in writing, and make sure all the family know. And don't trust your siblings nor parents and what they might be up too.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I see completely what you're saying hastalavista, although they're not being paid by a percentage of what I get so I don't think that would happen? Also I'm going to try to come to an agreement with my brother so that situation shouldn't happen.. did that happen to you? That's awful!

It's not a vow of silence so much, just advice to be discreet I suppose... I mean I wouldn't like if my brother was telling everyone about the case, I wouldn't want everyone knowing my business, I probably wouldn't like to see the full details of my story on the internet either told from his point of view...I think it was more about preventing any anger or fights...

Bronte I think you're right about getting things in writing, although I suppose I wouldn't have hated to do that at the time, I didn't really realise I expected the house until I was in the situation where I didn't have it...

Back