I messed up my house move - financial mess

It happed to us many years ago. We ended up living in a mobile home in Brittas Bay and travelling to Dublin. One son doing his Leaving Cert at the time. Stressful for us all.
We asked the builder to pull out all the stops and he did. We ended up being the first people living in the estate with half finished properties all around us, except the show house.

How has it cost nearly 40k in rental costs? Your other post was from june 2023 and you hadnt closed on the sale at that point.
Have you taken into account any savings during that period eg mortgage, insurance, house maintenance?
Are you using savings to fund the rental amount or can you meet it out of your monthly income?

I was told to buy Nividia shares 2 years ago - I sold 2000 Apple shares at $22 in 1999. I could have been a millionaire!

But I laugh thinking of it.

I'm guessing the house is in Dublin. Would you have got more than you got if it went on the market today? Very possibly it would have been lower if you go by recent statistics.

Hopefully the money from the sale is in a decent interest earning account, that alleviates some of the cost. Also the fact that you are "ready to move" will take a huge stress out of the eventual move. If the new house needs some mortgage, you are saving there too.

Then a little icing on the cake - €1500 rental tax relief for 2023 & also 2024.

In the overall scheme of things, its not the worst scenario.

How has it cost nearly 40k in rental costs? Your other post was from june 2023 and you hadnt closed on the sale at that point.
Have you taken into account any savings during that period eg mortgage, insurance, house maintenance?
Are you using savings to fund the rental amount or can you meet it out of your monthly income?
Approx 5k monthly rent and storage costs combined since July - yeah, it's eyewatering stuff but at the time, we thought maybe 2/3 months max! Our old mortage was tiny and new mortgage will only be half that. :/

Approx 5k monthly rent and storage costs combined since July - yeah, it's eyewatering stuff but at the time, we thought maybe 2/3 months max! Our old mortage was tiny and new mortgage will only be half that. :/
How much of the 5k is storage costs? I moved a couple of years ago and there was a huge difference with quotes. How much is rent? Its unlikely you can change the rent but you might be able to do something about storage costs

How much of the 5k is storage costs? I moved a couple of years ago and there was a huge difference with quotes. How much is rent? Its unlikely you can change the rent but you might be able to do something about storage costs
Sorry just seeing this now, cost of storage is about the same as what our old mortgage used to be. So even if we'd stayed put for that alone we'd have been better off! We've tried negotiating with the storage company but they are out the door with custom so no joy.

Still waiting on the new build. The developer is beyond useless so we're looking to negotiate a discount with him too after so long a wait, but since the build contract basically allows them to take as long as they like doubt we'll get anywhere.
Story of our lives at the moment.

If you think it's gling to continure to drag out,it might be worth revisiting this. Take into account the cost of moving stuff from one storage facility to another. You may even be able to downsize sone of the stuff.
Thats a nightmare that its still dragging on though.

If you think it's gling to continure to drag out,it might be worth revisiting this. Take into account the cost of moving stuff from one storage facility to another. You may even be able to downsize sone of the stuff.
Thats a nightmare that its still dragging on though.
Honestly, the way I'm feeling these days, I don't think I could stomach having to pay out twice to move the whole lot again from one storage unit to another, and then have to pay/do all over again for the third time into the/a new house. If it ever happens. The wait is just crucifying.

Someone above said "give yourself a break". That resonated with me and iv skipped all subsequent comments to write this.

You really should give yourslef a break on this as difficult as that may seem and as bloody frustrating as this scenario is for you. As another said, you can only control what you can. Philisophical but when you think about it and really focus on it - its true. You also cannot change the past etc etc so lots of philiosophy. All good stuff though.

If I were you id focus on whats good in your life - youve a good family, all healthy, good family and friends, a good and secure job and inspite of all this youre financially comfortable. Im assuming these things but you get picture. If you can focus on these things then the cost of this scenario, your worst case etc, is in perspective and you can accept it @MelF

OP, I’ve recently had very similar experience, wondering if it’s even the same developer or the new build market is just a shitshow in general. The way I see it, you can’t feel truly better or stop looking back until you can move forward and can only hope to be out the other side of the nightmare soon. Best of luck and yeah go easy on yourself tin the meantime.

Back