I live in a designated unfinished estate: What happens if I dont register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corklad

I live in a designated unfinished estate so don't have to pay the charge (this year).

From the household charge website FAQ:

Persons claiming entitlement to a waiver must complete the household charge registration form.
and

(1) LATE PAYMENT FEES
The late payment fee to apply in the case of a Household Charge paid:

• not later than 6 months after the due date, is 10% of the amount outstanding;
  • later than 6 months and not later than 12 months after the due date, is 20 % of the amount outstanding; or
  • later than 12 months after the due date, is 30 % of the amount outstanding.
What happens if I don't register? All of the penalties are on the outstanding amount. Does that mean I'll be paying 10% of €0, etc. as a late fee?

I'd like to know what people think and do you know what the official line is.
I'm sending an email to the household charge people to see what the official line is but given their current track record I don't expect a quick reply.

That's not the point. :)

I will be registering but I'm curious what will happen to people like me who chose not to, for whatever reason - protest, refusal to give information, etc.

Everyone who chooses not to pay will be guilty of the offence and there will be a whole lot of them so they won't chase them all. I'm just wondering how long you could hold out not registering seeing as you couldn't be fined through their fine structure.

Official reply received:

The act requires residential property owners to register their property, even those who qualify for a waiver. As you are in an unfinished housing estate, when you register, you can choose 'Waiver'.
No penalties have been outlined for people with waivers not registering, however, as mention, you are required by the act.

They are probably not going to come looking for you if you don't register.
No one has a definitive list of property owners. It will only be a problem if/when you ever want to sell your house - you need proof that you paid it or were exempt.

Revenue and/or Social Welfare know where everyone in the State lives, so the State is aware of who occupies every address. I'm sure there are a few people who give incorrect details to Revenue & SW, but these would be a minority and wouldnt take long to find out and as they usually also have either tax or SW issues (hence the reason for wrong address) its financially worthwhile for the State to investigate.

The criminal charges for non payment are District Court issues. The District Courts are well used to dealing with 100,000's of similar types of cases e.g. speeding fines, parking fines, tv licences etc. I assume prosecutions will be somewhat 'automated' and done in large batches of 1,000s ala speeding fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back