I hereby withdraw from the Presidential Race

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Great article in the Examiner.

MICHAEL CLIFFORD: I hereby withdraw from the Áras race

A very good summary of the current runners and riders :

Once it was known from far out that Miriam wasn’t going to take the leap, what was left?

Fianna Fáil isn’t going to run anybody, apart from Éamon Ó Cuív. Fine Gael, in all likelihood, will never run a candidate again on the basis of the disaster every presidential election has been for their people.

Sinn Féin is up for it, but the apparent criteria is somebody who is young, female, photogenic, and in a fierce hurry for a united Ireland. And then there are those who plough the field as Independents.

Joan Freeman has done worthy work on suicide prevention, but she’s yet to be tested on meeting and greeting.

Gavin Duffy made for a suitably brooding dragon in the Den, but does the world need another reality TV show personality as a president?

How about Kevin Sharkey? He was also on TV once upon a time and he is an artist. But would he be the first man you’d think of ringing if a constitutional crisis took fire?

Of late, we’ve had the spectre of Seán Gallagher winding up for another tilt at it. Where has he been for the last seven years? Surely he has something better to be doing with himself at this stage of his life?

Well listen lads if nobody else wants it, I will allow my name to go forward but I am only flying first class and staying in five star hotels.

I’m up for it! As an independent.

I recently did a meet and greet for incoming students. I have a well-practiced firm handshake. I vow to make Trump weep with my talent.

I have experience in amusing children with games as parents filled in registration forms - a lot more sophisticated than the kissing babies craic.

I can whip out the gorgeous gúna and the fab shoes when required. Fake tan - no problem!

I have a great hairdresser and I love shellac.

I can do the chicken and chips thing if required (preferably with curry sauce). Although, I do like the Michelin star restaurant now and again.

I love candles and would keep them lighting for the diaspora. Can’t beat soaking in a bath surrounded by Jo Malone candles to be reminded of the diaspora.

I love travel. I would be willing to travel around the world (business class to save a few bob - (eye shade to Odyssey06) to meet and greet all the old faithful.

I’m great at google. I can google for Ireland! No trivial fact of any world leader is beyond my shellaced finger tips.

I would love to have a few dogs as well. I loved the Obamas’ dogs - good-looking Portuguese Water Dogs. They will look great in selfies.

I also featured on TV recently in my togs during the heatwave, albeit at about 500m from the camera. But profile is everything. Thankfully, I never did a reality TV show.

I have some nice art work on my walls. Mostly prints from foreign museums. This will go down well with our world leaders.

I’m also very good at safety and health and would know how to get people to a safe place in the event of a fire - constitutional or otherwise.

My weakness is, I’m not great at humble bragging.

Vote Mar!

Marion

Any view of Gemma O'Doherty?, seems to be a Water Protest for the presidency type thing. Main thing I've seen so far is a twitter wrangle complete with legal threats to a Irish Times journalist and the tag line #suemegemma hmmm, not a great start....

Joan Freeman might be good, would raise the profile of mental health issues - probably has enough cop on to tow the line on international issues - I don't get the sense she's big on self-aggrandising.

My uninformed opinion of Gemma O'Doherty is that she would not withstand the rigours and scrutiny of a Presidential election campaign. Given the little I know about the Twitter spat between her and other Dublin journalists, she would seem unsuited for the dirty tricks that will surely be pulled in a full-blown campaign.

Also, she seems unclear on the scope of the role; the claims she make for what she would do in the role seems at variance to what a President can actually do.

The campaign would seem a dead cert for the incumbent. Sinn Fein will run some no-hoper to build that individual's profile for a future campaign, whether the Dail or the European Parliament.

Noel Whelan used a nice phrase to describe the appeal of MDH. People may agree with him or disagree with him, but most people are 'fond of him'.

Is the link with the Iona Institute, or a family link to one of the principals ? If the former, it's fair game. If the latter, then it's hardly a problem, is it ? If Kerry are playing Dublin and my cousins are supporting Kerry, I'm still supporting Dublin :)

Potential candidates setting out their stall in Meath this morning.

Twitter #Aras18

Many of them need to read Articles 12,13,14

One of them hopes Michael D, wins another wants a Luas in Galway.

Sean Defoe’s account on Twitter is worth reading as he summarises their pitches. It’s illuminating.

Marion

Im hoping the Shinners put Gerry forward. That'll drive the great and good stir crazy - great entertainment!

It is ironic that Sinn Fein want to put one of their own in an office which sits in the House formerly occupied by the Viceroy (Lord lieutenant of Ireland).
The last Lord lieutenant was Lord Aberdeen but it was his wife, Lady Aberdeen, who was the real power. They both supported Home Rule and she was a champion of the poor and homeless, working tirelessly to eradicate TB and build public housing for the vast swathes of poor living in tenement slums in Dublin. It was the second city of the Empire but had the highest infant mortality rate of any city in the developed world, on par with Calcutta in 1915. Without Lady Aberdeen we would have no Rotunda Hospital and many thousands of children would have died. She even accused the Unionists of using the Red Cross for political purposes and was a supporter of Gaelic culture and the Irish language.
Whomever is elected there is no way, due to the limitations of the office, that they will do more for the poor and marginalised than the last British occupant of the big house in the Park.

He's already got what three houses?

I assumed he had 4 house keys.
1. Dublin, when the Dáil is in session
2. Louth, for constituency time
3. Belfast, family home
4. Donegal, holiday home

And all of this on the average industrial wage that most Sinn Fein TDs claim to live on :p

It is ironic that Sinn Fein want to put one of their own in an office which sits in the House formerly occupied by the Viceroy (Lord lieutenant of Ireland).

I think it's ironic too. But for different reasons.
I dont object to having an Office of President. But with such lavish bestowings and privileges I would at least like to think the office could be used for more effective means other than as simple ceremonial role.

Campaigning with effect on social issues of homelessness, poverty, health care...similar in vain to Lady Aberdeen, would at least render some of the expense of the Presidency worthwhile.

Communications of the President can only be approved by government. This should be extended to the Oireachtas as it is an office of the people, not government.

Back