I have to say this seemed a bit strange ...

I also do this as well as locking all doors and leaving my handbag out of sight and indeed driving on Poplar Row one time a few years ago I was glad I do it, a guy in a crowbar was coming towards my car window and I swung out of the lane of traffic and got the car safely off. I saw him break the passenger window of the car behind and snatch a handbag (it was later recovered) Better safe than sorry and locking doors etc is a good habit.

Wow! Perhaps my sibling hadnt watched too many scary movies!!!

Did you swing out of the lane up onto the pavement or into another lane or what?

...I also always leave a good gap between my car and the one in front of it in traffic so that if attacked I have an escape out of the traffic up onto the pavement or across a field or whatever - thats more an overhang from a paranoid sibling teaching me how to drive and always insisting on leaving an escape route - just in case. Perhaps theyd watched too many scary movies.

Overdose of Starsky & Hutch, Traffic Cops, Sky's Road Wars (my favourite)... :D

4 - its just safer!
Might not be if you have a crash.

I always leave the doors unlocked because I'd rather take the risk of someone opening a door and snatching something, than be trapped in a crashed, locked car.

A window can be easily busted (see crowbar post above) anyway.

Wow! Perhaps my sibling hadnt watched too many scary movies!!!

Did you swing out of the lane up onto the pavement or into another lane or what?

I was in the lane to go straight ahead to East Wall Road and there was a lane to my right which was for cars turning right at the lights before EW Rd and I swung into that as nothing was coming and there was no car in the lane and then took the right turn, out of danger.

The first thing I do when I get into my car is to lock the doors and this has nothing to do with where I might be driving to. Its just a habit I developed and much safer imo , especiallyafter hearing stories of people being dragged from their car while sitting in traffice etc

Might not be if you have a crash.

I always leave the doors unlocked because I'd rather take the risk of someone opening a door and snatching something, than be trapped in a crashed, locked car.

A window can be easily busted (see crowbar post above) anyway.

I train for emergencies like that and I, and many others, carry something to smash windows in our emergency car kits. It's not ideal, all that flying glass but it can be done. It's the same with seatbelts, we can't always reach across to undo it and get you out, so we carry seatbelt cutters.

Personally, I'd lock the car if I felt in danger and leave my rescuer to work out which window to smash should they need to.

Back