I have a PS pension. Can I or should I get a private pension to?

Lamps

I'm 33 years of age and have a pension with the public service, paying into it the last 9 years now and will allow me to retire at 67 with 40 years' service. I have my house paid for and have some spare cash every month that I've recently started putting into low cost ETFs.

My question is should I be putting that spare money into a private pension fund to get the tax benefits? Can I even do that considering I already pay into a pension?

My concern is that with the cost of public service pensions to the State that things might be different when I retire, a government could cut that pension with the stroke of a pen. I hopefully won't ever need to take my money out of the stock market until retirement unless I get sick, so I will hopefully have that as back up. So should I or can I pay more into a private pension fund?

You can put your money into a PRSA AVC. Cornmarket look after this and you can do a net pay arrangement with their pensions. Or you can go off and do your own thing, submit your PRSA Cert to the Revenue and they will adjust your tax credits. You won't have the same choice of ETF's through a PRSA AVC as you will by investing privately.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back