I have 4 AIB shares - should I hold onto them?

billy-bob

AIB being in the news recently reminded me of a question I meant to ask a while ago. When my father died, we 4 children each received shares in AIB, a grand total of 4 each apparently (which would have been 1000 before the crash, I believe). That was 6 years ago. Back in early May, I received a cheque from AIB for the grand total of 30c, my dividend payment for the year, apparently. I don't think I've ever gotten a cheque from them before and it's not worth my driving to the bank, spending 30c of petrol to cash it :). So

1. Was this the first time in 6 years AIB paid a dividend? I'm sure I signed up for DD when I originally got the shares, but can't see any evidence of any payments for last year in that either. I did get a letter from ComputerShare in April telling me to sign for DD payments ahead of the dividend payment, but paid no heed. Maybe they changed the rules recently?

2. Is there any reason to keep these shares based on recent sale news? I would assume the price on ISM will go down even more when the sales go through?

If the government sell the rest of their shareholding in the future does this then undilute someones shareholding wherby the current number of shares that Billy Bob has will revert back to 1000 ? If so would it not be more beneficial to hold them in the hope of this happening.

Selling shares that are already in issue will neither dilute nor "undilute" any existing shareholding.

It's only a new issue of shares (i.e. issuing shares for the first time) to new shareholders that has a dilutive effect on existing shareholdings.

Back