I can't understand permanent tsb's overall figures

Brendan Burgess

Founder
In 2012, in the High Court, ptsb said that the computer glitch cost them €33m.

According to the press statement in 2015, only 1,152 customers were affected by this. This would give an average cost of €28,645 each.

Something is wrong somewhere. I have documented break fees at the time for other lenders, and the average break fee was €8k. The highest was €20k.

So was the €33m an overestimate?
upload_2015-8-19_9-40-14.png

How do lenders calculate cost of breaking a fixed rate?

breaking out a fixed rate mortgage

From the offer letter

“Early Repayment

“Early Repayment
Wherever repayment of a loan in full or in part is made before the expiration of the Fixed Rate Period the applicant shall, in addition to all other sums payable, as a condition of and at the time of such repayment, pay whichever is the lesser of the following two sums:
(a) a sum equal to one half of the amount of interest (calculated on a reducing balance basis) which would have been payable on the principal sum desired to be repaid, for the remainder of the Fixed rate Period, or
(b) a sum equal to permanent tsb's estimate of the loss (if any) occasioned by such early repayment, calculated as the difference between on the one hand the total amount of interest (calculated on a reducing balance basis} which the applicant would have paid on the principal sum being repaid to the end of the Fixed Rate Period at the fixed rate of interest, and on the other hand the sum (if lower) which permanent tsb could earn on a similar principal sum to that being repaid if permanent tsb loaned such sum to a Borrower at its then current :New Business Fixed rate with a maturity date next nearest to the end of the Fixed rate Period of the loan, or part thereof, being repaid.”

So on a €200k loan at 5% with two years to go

Interest to go for two years €20k
penalty: 50% or €10k

or
Interest to go for two years : €20k
Interest on a similar loan fixed for two years @4% : €16k
Loss €4k

Whatever way you look at it, the average cost of breaking will be much smaller than €25k

From the High Court judgement

“While ILP honoured the no penalty quotations, the uncontradicted evidence before me was that this computer error was extremely costly for ILP - with a net loss of over €33m.-and that ILP suspended switching in February 2009 when the problem was discovered until it could be rectified.”

Brendan,

Could it be cuteness and taking max out of it so as judge says{extremely costly for ILP} and feels sorryish for them ?
Could it be that mathematics arn,t ILP,s strong point?
Could it be they didn,t expect a (Brendan) type to do the sums?

Could it be they can,t tell the truth? and is that unusual.

They could be including the costs of bringing in outside IT help to fix the problem. Any IT expertise called in at short notice will be expensive.

Could well be ,but that was never reported to my knowledge.
I do accept that I start with the (doubting Thomas) mindset.

Given their protracted messing on tracker mortgages/ppi etc I think I will stay with my original comment.

It would be if they were profitable. But I don't think that they have paid any taxes for years as they have not made any profits for years.

Don't losses get carried forward and will eventually reduce profits and therefore taxes?

Last edited:
Does (i) the 1,152 figure only relate to those who are now being allowed go onto tracker mortgage, and (ii) was there a much larger number of Borrowers who broke out of fixed rates who shouldn't have?

I broke out with no charge. I believe that I an entitled to my tracker mortgage back but I was part of investigations but not redress.

Interesting points.

So you are suggesting that there were far more than 1,152 who broke out of their trackers without penalty. This cost the bank a lot of money in terms of lost interest rates. But only 1,152 of them have got their trackers back.

You might be onto something.

In what cases did they not get their trackers back?
1) Where ptsb informed the borrower that they would lose their tracker, but the borrower went ahead anyway.
2) Where people who were not contractually entitled to trackers on expiry of the fixed rate,(in ptsb's opinion) were allowed to break out without penalty. (Phil's case)

Last edited:
Back