I can't get RTE radio on UPC analogue

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have my radio hooked up to the UPC analogue yoke on the wall. I listen to RTE Radio 1 and BBC Radio 4 mainly. RTE Radio 1 disappeared a couple of days ago. All the other Irish and UK stations are there.

UPC says it's nothing to do with them, although I thought I was using their equipment to get it.

On another radio I listen to it on the DAB signal. And that is working ok

Brendan

In case it helps narrow down the issue for you.

I have UPC digital - so the Thomson media box. Just checked - channel 901 (RTE Radio 1) is working.

Thanks, that is not the issue. I can get Radio 1 on my TV. But I want it on the radio.

Brendan

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is wrong with tuning your radio to RTE1 (88.2–90.0, (87.8 northeast) MHz FM) and forget about using UPC to get it.

On the face of it ......

It's unlikely to be your current radio receiver because u are continuing to receive all other channels on your radio.
Presumably u asked UPC if they were still sending the RTE radio 1 signal via analogue and presumably they said yes.

Question to ask perhaps

Is the Radio 1 analogue signal being sent from RTE to UPC exactly the same signal that was sent from RTE to UPC say a week ago before this issue arose.

Only UPC/RTE will know if 'something has changed' - it might be something that is very subtle but is having a knock on impact to you. It might be so subtle that UPC customer services staff were not made aware.

Last edited:
Presumably u asked UPC if they were still sending the RTE radio 1 signal via analogue and presumably they said yes.

... It might be so subtle that UPC customer services staff were not made aware.

My conversation with UPC was very frustrating.

She had no idea what I was talking about. She said that UPC had stopped providing this signal years ago.

I am not technically competent enough to argue it. I have my radio connected to the UPC yoke on the wall. But maybe it's not UPC who is supplying it. I really have no idea.

Anyway, I have made no adjustments, and it's working again this morning.

Brendan

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what is wrong with tuning your radio to RTE1 (88.2–90.0, (87.8 northeast) MHz FM) and forget about using UPC to get it.

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting disconnecting the UPC aerial and attaching an ordinary aerial to the radio. That would be fine for RTE although the quality would not be as good. But then I would not get BBC Radio 4 which I listen to most.

Brendan

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting disconnecting the UPC aerial and attaching an ordinary aerial to the radio. That would be fine for RTE although the quality would not be as good. But then I would not get BBC Radio 4 which I listen to most.

Brendan
Ah right so its not like an ordinary hand held portable radio, what sort of radio is it Brendan, part of a deck system or something like that, that need an add-on antennae?

If so I see your predicament.

The UPC equipment used to have two outputs. One TV and the other FM. Though I think they both output the same signal.

I know we have some radios with that coaxial FM connection. I must test to see UPC FM radio is still active.

I have my radio hooked up to the UPC analogue yoke on the wall. I listen to RTE Radio 1 and BBC Radio 4 mainly. RTE Radio 1 disappeared a couple of days ago. All the other Irish and UK stations are there.

UPC says it's nothing to do with them, although I thought I was using their equipment to get it.

On another radio I listen to it on the DAB signal. And that is working ok

Brendan
Hi Brendan, Had the exact same thing happen to me at the same time,as my tuner is connected to the FM output on the UPC main connection..RTE 1&2 have disappeared all the other stations remained uninterupted,got the same reaction from UPC!!
Niall

Hi Niall

UPC has confirmed to me that it was an issue with RTE

Hi Brendan,

There was an issue with RTE Radio over the weekend and has since been resolved this morning.

Please let us know if you continue to experience any issue with this please.

Thanks, Brian F

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057400803/1#post94798447

Brendan
Thanks Brendan,Thought I was the only one ......retuned and its all back to normal....thanks for making me feel normal(when all around me thought i'd lost it)just goes to show www really comes in handy when all else seems not to be where it should be !!

Cheers!
Niall

Hi Niall

Sorry, we are not normal. We actually listen to the radio on a radio? In the 21st century. Surely that's not normal.

Brendan

Hi Brendan
Usually when only one or two station(s) disappear, I would normally assume maintenance planning on transmission network whether digital or analog. I'm guessing that is what happened to your RTE 1. Usually you just have to wait. Sometimes scheduled maintenance issues might take longer that usual, so for example if you are using your radio tuner in LW for RTE 1 and Radio 4 then for sure RTE NETWORKS is doing maintenance at this time. http://www.rte.ie/radio/page/138471-rte-radio-ways-to-listen/

I don't think any of the analogue services are actively supported by UPC, they could well be withdrawn at any time.

Back