I am writing an article about being ripped off

Afaik profit margins are also higher in ireland, but don't have time to root around for this info.

When you do have time, could you please back-up that assertion cos that's one piece of information that the major supermarkets never disclose.

Corportation tax is lower, you have no idea whether or not rent is more expensive (on a store by store basis, we can't tell whether or not subsidies are being granted by developers to large prestige anchor tenants, but one would presume that they are), yes, average wages in Ireland are higher, but we can't tell whether or not that is the case in instances of UK firms having branches here, if anything salaries here may be lower given that staff are more likely to be new recruits with not only lower starting salaries, but probably no access to company pension schemes etc.
Afaik profit margins are also higher in ireland, but don't have time to root around for this info.

Companies charge what the market will stand. The same applies to builders and private individuals selling property. Why are some seemingly intelligent people not able to grasp this basic fact?
If M&S could sell their goods at three times the price they would do so. If they did not do so they would not be returning maximum value to their shareholders.
The flip side is that if they could not sell their goods at current prices then they would cut those prices.
So, the bottom line is that the market sets the price and as long as people are willing to buy goods and services at price X then the price will be X.

I am quite sure that none of this is news to anyone on this site so why do so many people choose to ignore reality when engaging in a “rip-off” moan?

Economy of 320m in Eurozone as opposed to only 60m in Sterlingzone UK?

The Eurozone is clearly not an economy. Laws, tax rates, standards etc differ greatly from State to State. As does language.

, you have no idea whether or not rent is more expensive
You're right there. That's why I didn't mention rent. :) I note you didn't take me up on the items I did mention: "Wages, govt charges & VAT"

I await your findings :)

You're right there. That's why I didn't mention rent. :) I note you didn't take me up on the items I did mention: "Wages, govt charges & VAT"
I mentioned wages, VAT is indeed higher here, but what govt charges specifically are you referring to?

As for the data on profit margins, I had a quick look and can't see anything so I'll presume that the lot of you are correct and that such data isn't released, now stop ganging up on me, and yes Purple, I agree, businesses will charge whatever they can get away with, and if they didn't they'd be failing in their duty to shareholders etc....

what govt charges specifically are you referring to?

The whole range of State- and State-enforced fees, charges, compliance costs and levies on business. A few examples:
The plastic bag levy
WEEE levies
CRO filing fees
Planning & Development levies
Local authority fees
REACH levies

The whole range of State- and State-enforced fees, charges, compliance costs and levies on business.

You can't beat the increase last week to become an Irish Citizen. It went from €126.97 to..... wait for it..... €950.00.

I totally disagree but you can read my many existing posts on this topic rather than me wasting my time repeating myself again.

From the Oxford English Dictionary

rip-off

noun [SIZE=-1]informal[/SIZE] 1 an article that is greatly overpriced. 2 an inferior imitation.

;)

Good diet will do more for your heart than rubbish spreads that have minimal impact marketed at the stupid.
Go for a walk; it's free.

I presume that message was not directed at me.I was merely stating a fact.The marketing does work and I do purchase these products(together with a healthy diet and walking)Stupid Im not though:(

I think its time for the OP to reply to my comment .

JohnMeag
I wonder if you feel you've been meaningfully informed by the discourse of this thread ? Has it served it's purpose ?

Did you really give a hostage to fortune in your OP ?

I live in RoI but right on the border with NI, and I very rarely buy much in Ireland, except the odd emergency item like bread, milk etc (and petrol of course).

Everything else I can get cheaper in NI.

IMHO, newspapers are the biggest ripoff around today, especially tabloids. They are full of yesterdays news, and tabloids are full of stories about people who I have no interest in.

We all own TVs, and if you take 30mins to watch the news then there is not much need for a newspaper, unless there is some columnist you really want to read.

IMHO, newspapers are the biggest ripoff around today, especially tabloids. They are full of yesterdays news

Sorry RMCF but this made my laugh ... what exactly do you expect in today's newspaper - today's news?!!

We all own TVs, and if you take 30mins to watch the news then there is not much need for a newspaper, unless there is some columnist you really want to read.
Depends on what you are looking for in terms of news coverage. In my opinion a lot of TV news and current affairs coverage is superficial and sensational compared to a lot of radio and newspaper coverage.

Sorry RMCF but this made my laugh ... what exactly do you expect in today's newspaper - today's news?!!

:eek:

See what you mean. I was hinting that if you watch TV news and are trying to save money, then buying a paper the next day is a bit of a waste.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years and don't think I've ever been behind in current affairs. Ignoring TV, there are plenty of good websites that negate the need to buy a newspaper.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years and don't think I've ever been behind in current affairs. Ignoring TV, there are plenty of good websites that negate the need to buy a newspaper.

Absolutely, only buy a paper meself these days for the opinion articles or local newspapers for the local news but yeah definitely for current affairs the newspaper is always a day behind the websites/tv so don't see the point in buying them for that!

Back