I am not paying the Household Charge because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
......in the mean time we should be writing a list of all the things that are wrong with the running of the country, and sending it to the politicians.

Good idea.

I do think that some people see not paying as a way of alerting the politicians that they are not happy, in a stronger form than just sending a letter. I could be wrong.

Good idea.

I do think that some people see not paying as a way of alerting the politicians that they are not happy, in a stronger form than just sending a letter. I could be wrong.

No, the politicans (the ones we elected on the basis of their campaigns-part of which I am sure included not introducing a property tax!!) only understand money- letters and email are water off a ducks back.

As one of the "coping class" , I cannot and will not give any more-coz right now we are barely getting by!!

Good idea.

Truthseeker I do not envy you with your financial troubles. Hopefully with your other half getting a job things will work out. You both didn't think of going to the UK and going bankrupt when you'd both lost your job. You've mentioned children a few times (if I recall a good while back you had a very touching post). Don't let the small apartment hold you back. You will regret it forever.

Since I moved abroad I had to rethink my whole attitude. Before I left it was a culture of not paying for anything, bins, rubbish being left illegally, water being wasted, dodging stamp duty, CGT and all that sort of stuff. And then you learn to like things being ordered, that the charges are high but you get proper services. Recently there was a water leak on a bank holiday and the guys here were out on the eve of it at 11 to cut of the water and a leaflet for all the street and they came at 8 next morning of the bank holiday and I remember thinking thank goodness I live here now as if I was at home it would have been the Monday before there was any water and it would have been left to flow down the street for the weekend. I like having a local library which my kids use, fantastic swimming pools and for half nothing, great roads. The council replanted the all the trees on my street last year, they look after everything like that. It's my obligation to see that if there is ice no pedestrian falls etc. But people here can't abide waste. You wouldn't dream of not picking up litter around your own house etc. And there is shocking waste in Ireland.

Maybe on AAM we could debate item by item what is wrong, starting with the local councils and suggesting improvements and really a name and shame policy and enforcement for those who can but won't pay.

No, the politicans (the ones we elected on the basis of their campaigns-part of which I am sure included not introducing a property tax!!) only understand money- letters and email are water off a ducks back.

As one of the "coping class" , I cannot and will not give any more-coz right now we are barely getting by!!

The property tax was agreed to by the previous Government with the troika and the new Government had no choice but to introduce it. But why let facts get in the way of your argument.

Since I moved abroad I had to rethink my whole attitude. Before I left it was a culture of not paying for anything, bins, rubbish being left illegally, water being wasted, dodging stamp duty, CGT and all that sort of stuff. And then you learn to like things being ordered, that the charges are high but you get proper services. Recently there was a water leak on a bank holiday and the guys here were out on the eve of it at 11 to cut of the water and a leaflet for all the street and they came at 8 next morning of the bank holiday and I remember thinking thank goodness I live here now as if I was at home it would have been the Monday before there was any water and it would have been left to flow down the street for the weekend. I like having a local library which my kids use, fantastic swimming pools and for half nothing, great roads. The council replanted the all the trees on my street last year, they look after everything like that. It's my obligation to see that if there is ice no pedestrian falls etc. But people here can't abide waste. You wouldn't dream of not picking up litter around your own house etc. And there is shocking waste in Ireland.

Hi Bronte,

Sounds like a nice place where you are living. Sadly, even with higher taxes I don't think we'd ever get to that level here. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, I don't know. Nobody seems responsible....perhaps when people do pay this tax they will become more vocal at a local level and demand (better) services. But again, it's a cultural thing...we seem to like to moan but very rarely do anything about it. I bet where you are living people would be out on the street for issues that we wouldn't bother about.

Firefly.

Truthseeker I do not envy you with your financial troubles. Hopefully with your other half getting a job things will work out. You both didn't think of going to the UK and going bankrupt when you'd both lost your job. You've mentioned children a few times (if I recall a good while back you had a very touching post). Don't let the small apartment hold you back. You will regret it forever.

Maybe on AAM we could debate item by item what is wrong, starting with the local councils and suggesting improvements and really a name and shame policy and enforcement for those who can but won't pay.

Lovely post Bronte - thank you.

Where are you now? Myself and himself have given until summer 2013 to decide on moving elsewhere. Its really his father in law and the negative equity that has us holding back, his father in law is not doing great either financially or healthwise and we like to help him out where we can. The NE means that we cant sell, to rent we would still have to cover some of it ourselves - but that alone could be do-able.

We may yet go, its where is really the issue - Im very interested in the positive vibes from you on your location.

I disagree. Not paying this charge will have absolutely no impact on any individual politicians save that the Minister for the Environment may get the boot. The only currency politicians understand is votes. If you disagree with the charge, vote for someone else next time.

I think the most likely impact of a low payment rate is that central Government will interpret it as dissatisfaction with local government rather than themselves. Due to this dissatisfaction, and lack of funds, they'll start closing down/merging local authorities and associated organisations. My guess is that the very same people who are objecting to this charge will be out protesting that their county no longer has its own local authority due to be merged with a couple of others nearby with consequential job losses and reduction in services.

My guess is that the very same people who are objecting to this charge will be out protesting that their county no longer has its own local authority due to be merged with a couple of others nearby with consequential job losses and reduction in services.

I don't get this part. Under the Croke Park Agreement there is no involuntary redundancies in the public service....so why should services suffer?

I disagree. Not paying this charge will have absolutely no impact on any individual politicians save that the Minister for the Environment may get the boot. The only currency politicians understand is votes. If you disagree with the charge, vote for someone else next time.

I think the most likely impact of a low payment rate is that central Government will interpret it as dissatisfaction with local government rather than themselves. Due to this dissatisfaction, and lack of funds, they'll start closing down/merging local authorities and associated organisations. My guess is that the very same people who are objecting to this charge will be out protesting that their county no longer has its own local authority due to be merged with a couple of others nearby with consequential job losses and reduction in services.

I didn't vote for this crowd the first time around!!

Merging of LA is something that should have been done prior to this, as they are the biggest waste of money! It is crazy how much money they waste, on a daily basis!

If they are forced to merge some of many many LA we have, we may get a more efficent entity!

I don't get this part. Under the Croke Park Agreement there is no involuntary redundancies in the public service....so why should services suffer?

PS is still shedding people thru natural wastage. But the biggest area of job losses will probably be for local companies who provide various contracted services.

I didn't vote for this crowd the first time around!!

Merging of LA is something that should have been done prior to this, as they are the biggest waste of money! It is crazy how much money they waste, on a daily basis!

If they are forced to merge some of many many LA we have, we may get a more efficent entity!

I agree with you re: the merging. There is no reason why Ireland needs dozens of local authority when 4 or 5 would suffice.

Serotoninsid, what do you think of the 50% of people in your estate who don't pay for the grass cutting? I'd really like an honest answer to that.
I know what point your trying to score here but it won't stand up as I will go on to clarify.

In the case of those who cannot pay due to not being able to keep their heads above board, I think that's fair enough. In the case of those that can afford to pay but won't, I think they're scumbags! I might add that there is total transparency in how the fee collected by our residents association is spent - and that information is broken down and supplied to all stakeholders....no room for funds being siphoned off or wasted.

The answer you were looking for? You think you can make direct comparison between this and the household/service charge? Sorry - they're not comparable in the context that I originally presented the issue at the start of this thread - please go back and read it.

In relation to your problem with the council. I think you should start a thread on that and see if it can be sorted rather than complaining about it and getting nowhere. We had threads on here before and people did manage to get it sorted out, but it took a lot of work and stress and hassle.
Please run a check on my previous posts. I have accessed the collective pool of knowledge on AAM in relation to various aspects of getting an estate taken in charge.
N.B. You mentioned that there was a lot of 'stress' and 'hassle' involved? Why so? The stress and hassle caused by belligerent council staff and general council policy (to avoid taking estates in-charge)??. And these are the people you expect me (and the thousands of others with estates in limbo) to pay our service charge to?
Furthermore, from you post, it seems that the insinuation is that all I have done is spent my time complaining? That's not the case. I have pursued all avenues to get this sorted. I have gotten them to issue an enforcement notice. However, it was rather naive of me to think they would follow up on this. I know now that was only issued to palm me off. Others in my estate have taken exactly the same steps and had our efforts thwarted in the very same way as mine.
It is very unclear to me what exactly is the issue. Your estate has not been finished properly by the builder, and the council may or may not have a bond to finish it, and they won't tell you if they do or don't have a bond. Is that it?
I think I have articulated it quite clearly if you read the posts that i've written. However, let me clarify it for you further. A council that has acted competently would be holding either a bond to be used by them in the event that the estate isn't completed - or an insurance policy against this outcome. They may well have a bond but they refuse to answer my question on this - that's not incompetence, that's not negligence - it's pure and utter failure as a service provider at the most fundamentally basic of levels. Now...on that basis, you think I should pay a service charge to a council that won't even oblige at such a fundamentally basic level?

To anyone else who can pay and won't. Do you not realise that someone is going to have to sit down and say what can we not afford. They are actually going to have to make decisions on whether to close swimming pools or liabries or to buy enough salt in the winter. These hard decisions are on the horizon.
To those very same people - stand your ground! If things have to get worse before we fix them, then so be it. Again, monagt's turn of phrase is so apt - it's (paying this charge) like offering a free bar to an alcoholic!

If people are going to protest, and I think they should, then do it on the treaty changes. Then object to bank bailouts
No, you don't! This money is going in part towards a banking bailout - as they have reallocated local authority funding away from LA's to fill the banking fiscal hole! Again, I draw peoples attention to the fact that this administration was elected on the back of a clear policy to renegotiate - and a mandate from the people to renegotiate. The moment they took power, they blatantly disregarded the peoples wishes on this. Democracy irish style...
To lack of reform
I've already demonstrated one clear example (that one example affecting countless thousands of home owners) of service providers (county councils) that are in need of total reform. Otherwise, we give them our hard earned cash and they will pee it up against a wall.

It is actually not at all clear to me what exactly your issue was. I think my suggestion of you posting a thread on just your problems in your estate with an outline of the history, just the exact problems and maybe you would get some solutions. I notice that a poster called 'One' gave you excellent advice. At least the advice seemed excellent to me.

The advice for others was:

Give up on the council and finish the estate by everyone in the estate coming together, finding out the costs of finishing the estate and each house paying their share. He even mentioned that it was the best money they ever spent.

If there is no bond, if there is no willingness by the council to engage, if they don't have any money (most likely, and I wonder why), and if the builder is bust (most likely) and if not bust and forced to act he will go bust anyway then you and your neighbours need to do something to sort it out.

I have a sibling who purchased one of those lovely new builds in Dublin. Naturally management fees were paid at the beginning by the builder until last house was sold. Then low and behold whopping bill, sibling in shock, (I didn't sign up for this etc etc) did not pay and 3 years later complained to me that the services were bad in her estate and when told by me that what do you expect if everyone is like you and doesn't pay, well sibling did not want to hear etc etc. And now as each year goes by estate, along with plenty of others I've witnessed throughout the country are deteriorating and losing even more value than others.

And that's exactly what will happen to your estate unless you do something about it. And wasting time with the council is pointless. And if you want reform of how the council works then complain to your TD and don't vote for him next election unless changes are made, but make sure he knows that. And get a campaign going in your estate to that TD. It works, in an estate where I lived the residents managed to get traffic lights, and bumps in the road etc it took a couple of years but they got there.

Firstly,I've been out of action for a while so apologies if a post with similar content is already out there.
I decided quite a while ago,not to pay the household charge on time.I have my own reasons for doing this some of which are already brought to the fore by other posters on this thread.I can afford it,so am not part of the cant pay,wont pay brigade.Neither am i alligned to the ULA,SF,or Éirigi.what i detest,is that these groups will take credit for me not paying and this certainly is not the case.I'm sure there are thousands of non-payers that feel the same way as me,but it makes me sick to think that Daly,Doherty,Higgins and the likes of the pipsqueak padre from Donegal Ferry will be crowing when a large percentage wont pay.

Give up on the council and finish the estate by everyone in the estate coming together, finding out the costs of finishing the estate and each house paying their share. He even mentioned that it was the best money they ever spent.
Hi Bronte. We are further on than many other developments around us - and have come together as a group, formed a residents association and have got on with things ourselves. However, there are a couple of items that are simply beyond what we can achieve. Added to this is the fact that as this is an optional thing for people, only 50% of folks contribute. This is inherently wrong. However, it can be legislated for.

If there is no bond
No - sorry - and this is key. If there is no bond, then we are talking about gross negligence.
If there is no willingness by the council to engage
Again - this is fundamental in the overall context of why NOT to pay this service charge. They currently have the overhead of staff in place right now anyways. It is not going to cost them any extra to simply answer our questions rather than palm us off, is it? On that basis alone, how could there be an expectation of the general public in paying a service charge when the alleged service provider fails at such a basic and fundamental level?
if they don't have any money (most likely, and I wonder why)
The developer paid them a bond (most likely - and if he didn't then its gross negligence on the part of the council as outlined above). This bond should be held for the very purpose of bringing about completion of the estate. If they have blown it, that is not acceptable.
and if the builder is bust (most likely) and if not bust and forced to act he will go bust anyway
Still filing accounts. And so that means that the enforcement notice that was issued was never followed up on and enforced!
You and your neighbours need to do something to sort it out.
Yes, and it would help enormously if there can be legislative change to place an obligation on property owners within an estate to contribute towards estate maintenance fees. This is not something that will cost anything to enact - but something that has implications for developments all over the country.

I have a sibling who purchased one of those lovely new builds in Dublin. Naturally management fees were paid at the beginning by the builder until last house was sold. Then low and behold whopping bill, sibling in shock, (I didn't sign up for this etc etc) did not pay and 3 years later complained to me that the services were bad in her estate and when told by me that what do you expect if everyone is like you and doesn't pay, well sibling did not want to hear etc etc. And now as each year goes by estate, along with plenty of others I've witnessed throughout the country are deteriorating and losing even more value than others. And that's exactly what will happen to your estate unless you do something about it.

Point very well made - and it is something that we are collectively acutely aware and mindful of. This reason alone has motivated us in getting organised and the 50% of us who contribute know that despite it being distasteful knowing that 50% are not, it's still very much worthwhile biting our tongues on that - and contributing towards maintenance - which we do. Furthermore, this has been very much a positive development that has come about due to a negative - and it touches on a point Marion made earlier in this thread i.e. that people have to have some pride in where they live and a direct input into the upkeep of their own estates.

However, bringing this back to the overall theme to this thread, we are all the while doing our best to keep our estate in a good state. However, for the reasons outlined in this and other posts, don't expect us to pay a service charge when the service provider sticks their finger up at us!

Bronte said:
And if you want reform of how the council works then complain to your TD and don't vote for him next election unless changes are made, but make sure he knows that. And get a campaign going in your estate to that TD. It works, in an estate where I lived the residents managed to get traffic lights, and bumps in the road etc it took a couple of years but they got there.
We have done exactly that. Local representative has been contacted on a number of occasions. We have met with him and made our position clear. We have - as an estate - handed in letters from all home owners - declaring that we will not pay any household charge until such time as the estate is taken in charge by the council.

We have - as an estate - handed in letters from all home owners - declaring that we will not pay any household charge until such time as the estate is taken in charge by the council.

The other approach that you could consider is that by explicitely paying a service charge you should be in a stronger position to argue that the LA take over your estate. You mentioned you have engaged the services of a solicitor...perhaps something to ask him/her about...

At least after the last post I can see where you are at. There are a few issues here:

You see how hopping mad you are at those who don't pay in your estate, well I feel like that about you. Yes you are right to be annoyed at the council, but they are not a somebody, they don't have feelings and don't care if you pay or not. You are biting off your nose to spit your fact by not paying the charge, no matter what you do you will eventually have to pay it and heftly, you and the others in your estate should be sure that you are aware of the implications.

The council

Yes they are incompetant and wasteful, all over the country. They don't reply to your letters etc. Well how do you make them reply. Have you tried hiring a solicitor. Do they ignore your letters altogether? Have you tried meeting with them. Would bombarding them with letters work? What works with councils, does anyone know?

The bond

Are councils legally obliged to use a bond paid for x estate for that estate or does it go into the kitty and is at the discretion of the council? Maybe someone who has done this before might clarify. Wasn't there a thread on this a long time ago?

The builder

If he files accounts, he's still in business, but does he have assets, is he a 'mark' would he go bust if pursued, is he liable for completing, does your contract with the builder have anything on that, these are questions you might want to ask the solicitor who did the purchase for you

Council's negligence

You say that the council is negligent if they didn't get a bond. How would you prove negligence, has anyone ever successfully sued a council for not getting a bond, don't think so. And if they have no legal duties to do so you cannot sue them.

Enforcement notice

What exactly is this. The council issues a document with this title to the builder telling him to complete the estate? And when he doesn't what is the next legal step and how do you get them to bring the builder to court. Presumably this document has some legal weight, does it have to be the council to bring the case, and how does one force them. More questions for your solicitor.

Residents forced to pay maintenance charges

Do you see the irony of the fact you wish it were the law that your neighbours pay these charges in your estate but you don't want to pay the household charge. I do agree with you though, I think there should be a mechanism to force everybody to pay up. It works on the continent.

Local representative

What exactly is he doing to help? Does he bring it up at council meetings. Can you go to a higher level. Have you thought about writing letters to your local newspaper complaining about the council.

Well done

And you are to be admired for your efforts on behalf of the people in your estate. It is no easy thing to be involved, to take the time, to take the flak, to fight the council, to put up with those who won't pay, it is a very stressful thankless job.

On another positive note, from my Greek friends who I was discussing this with, as you do. Apparently services have actually improved there, because.... the civil servants are being more productive as they are afraid of losing their jobs. But trust me we don't want to go anywhere near the pain the Greeks have.

On another positive note, from my Greek friends who I was discussing this with, as you do. Apparently services have actually improved there, because.... the civil servants are being more productive as they are afraid of losing their jobs. But trust me we don't want to go anywhere near the pain the Greeks have.

If this were a reality here I have no doubt that things would improve, but sadly it's not. Until the local authorities face consequences things won't change. In fact, if they get money from this new tax from people voluntarliy* then there is little incentive for them to cut costs/imrove services.

* voluntarliy as in you will have to pay eventually, but you can avoid paying it until then.

If you compare with UK for instance, most taxes come form London, yet all the country is looked after by government.
In Ireland its seems to be only dublin, especially the south that gets services.

Ireland is a very unfair country.

Any chance of some examples of the services you're missing out on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back