"I am 50 should, I make Class 3 contributions to UK pension?"

Guidance notes to completing the CF83 are in the Key post

CF83 looks pretty clear to me

Q. 18: Are you or will you be working abroad for an employer (Y/N)
if there's no UK address you say so and below it there's space for the address in Ireland

Q. 19: Are you or will you be self employed abroad (Y/N)

So it would seem to me that your answer to Q18 is 'no' and to Q19 'yes' if you are self employed.

Finally - we are not the decision makers - DWP are. Direct any complaints about their process in that direction.

Last edited:
Question about this below: Is it asking me this in relation to WHEN I left the UK at that time (say 1995) or is it asking about NOW?

Q. 19: Are you or will you be self employed abroad (Y/N)

So it would seem to me that your answer to Q18 is 'no' and to Q19 'yes' if you are self employed.

I have 6 years on record so potentially could pay the other 4. I did send a CF38 last October but it is not showing on my record. I presume it has been lost.

Question about this below: Is it asking me this in relation to WHEN I left the UK at that time (say 1995) or is it asking about NOW?
you answer the question based on the position at the time you left the UK
I have 6 years on record so potentially could pay the other 4. I did send a CF38 last October but it is not showing on my record. I presume it has been lost.
Complete another CF83, keep a copy and send by recorded delivery. You can include a cover letter also.

The fist part of this puzzle is actually very simple.

If you have less than 10 year’s contributions you are not going to get anything at all.

If you make up your record to at least 10 years you will qualify for something.

So even at the higher rate everyone should at least make their record up to 10 years.

So for example if someone has 9 years credits, making an additional one year is an absolute no brainier.

Beyond that it’s a more nuanced cost benefit analysis

I've been back over my records.
Worked for 9 years in the UK.
I was told my pension would be £33 a week.
Topped up for 14 years at a cost of £2,176.
Pension next month will be £139 a week.
Since qualify in January this year I have received €2,229 from the UK Pension.
Just need to make up the money I paid in from the 1970's now.

Basically you pay £824 for each year and build up a 1/35th share of a UK state pension which is now £10,600 a year. 1/35 of £10,600 is more like £300 a year for life.

So to make it very simple: every £824 you contribute today gets you an extra £300 per year for life after you reach 67. Bear in mind that the pension is likely to remain indexed to inflation as well.
I don't think it's worth it, if you have only 3 years of contributions. You might be better off to transfer these 3 years to boost your Irish pension, since you could be short of years for a full Irish pension.

I don't think it's worth it, if you have only 3 years of contributions. You might be better off to transfer these 3 years to boost your Irish pension, since you could be short of years for a full Irish pension.
You cannot transfer years from another country to your irish pension.

Back