Hypersensitivity in the media, GAA held to stricter standards than any other organisation

I'm thinking: Ballyragget B&B owner depending on the odd punter in the small passing trade. She's asking herself "Should I apply to Francis Brennan for a B&B makeover and even make it to an RTE programme?" Francis would probably think "God, another inland village looking for me to work the impossible." Like turning Old Mother Reilly into Beyoncé. The local shop owner probably spends this time of year with hands in pockets wondering why his customers travel to supermarkets in Kilkenny rather than his shop.

Attract tourists/visitors to an Irish backwater at the start of November - Got it! - Somehow get that hurling cup (probably rusting for years) to a party where there are a couple of strippers. Then comes the publicity. Thousands paid to Francis Brennan wouldn't come near. Now, the whole country is talking about Ballyragget. Great free publicity like other towns could only dream about. What next? The Ballyragget Black & Amber Greenway taking in the local strip (as in stretch of ground between the confessional church and pub). Even the local parish priest gets in on the act. Nice one lads, I hope you're well rewarded. Ballyragget is back on the map.

Somewhat counter-intuitively the GAA is over-represented in posh parts of Dublin, but more generally is found in every corner of rural Ireland and most urban areas.
Isn't it ironic that Blackrock Rugby Club in Dublin was effectively bailed out by the GAA when the local club bought their all weather pitches from them. It is common for GAA and Rugby clubs to share facilities and indeed to share players.
With that in mind I also find it ironic that some GAA people have such entrenched views about Rugby but protest so vociferously against stereotypes about the GAA.
So I'm thinking there's as many gougers & saints as there is in the general population.
The same can be said for most sports. There was a time when only rich people played golf. I saw a road rage incident in Tallaght a few years ago where two tracksuit wearing "scobies" both took golf clubs from their cars to attack each other. There was a time when you'd get beaten up for owning golf clubs around there. I'm from the area so I know.

With that in mind I also find it ironic that some GAA people have such entrenched views about Rugby but protest so vociferously against stereotypes about the GAA.

That's pretty much a generational thing. Most 'GAA people' under, say, 50 have either played rugby or soccer or their kids have. Rugby is less of 'threat' to most GAA clubs and is seen as a manly pursuit, if mainly for mulluckers (bad footballers) - & there's the whole Munster & Ireland thing to cheer on - so rugby doesn't attract much ire anymore. Soccer lacks that 'county' element to bridge the gap between your local team and the national team.

So while you wont generally hear rugby and GAA publicly giving out about each other (or fans under 60 giving out), give a League of Ireland fan a microphone and there'll probably be a lash coming for the GAA sooner or later.:D Fair play to the League of Ireland though for going Summer season, improves the quality a lot since the pitches are so much better, and there's a bit of oxygen left when the premier league isnt on.

There was a time when only rich people played golf. I saw a road rage incident in Tallaght a few years ago where two tracksuit wearing "scobies" both took golf clubs from their cars to attack each other. There was a time when you'd get beaten up for owning golf clubs around there. I'm from the area so I know.
I would say they carried the golf clubs around with them for any reason other than ever playing golf!

This refers to Ballyragget, if you haven't heard (where have you been), 2 strippers turned up at a pub on Tuesday, there happened to be a few lads still celebrating a county final win, they happened to still have the cup with them. Cue hysteria.....

Impossible to comment without the facts. D'ya have any decent links? :p

Back