Husband on half pay , should I take his tax credits

suemoo

Hi, looking for some advice. My husband has been diagnosed with Cancer , he has been in remission nearly 2 yrs and we got bad news recently that it has come back. The week after next he has a major surgey followed by radiation and then most likely chemo after that. It will be 6mths at least before he is able to return to work. He is a civil servant and as he was sick for a year and off work before his wages immediately go to half pay. Approx 23k.....I earn 70k. We have a mortage which my husband pays direct from his wages. This leaves him with 28 euro left a week. We also have 2 young children so crèche fees are a major expense as well. 1500. My question is does it make sense for me to take my husbands tax credits for the time he is out sick...does this bring more money into the household? We do have some savings but this is earmarked for some lovley family holidays once he is better. He will need them. I am also trying to find ways to max out household budget so I can save more and we have more money to do things as a family when he is better.In regards to the crèche, I am not open to moving my kids from the crèche to a cheaper alternative. They love it there and there Is already going to be so much upheaval and stress in their little lives with all this I feel it very important to keep all other routines in their lives the same. Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you, Sue

Hi, it is definitely worth moving his tax credits over to you, and it is really easy to transfer them back again if you change your mind at a later date. It is all easily done with one phonecall. Best of luck, you have enough to worry about without worrying about tax on top of everything else.

If 23k is the half pay,moving tax credits will make no difference,as your husband is earning enough to use up his tax credits.

Back