Husband left some years ago how can I stop him from getting some of my pension funds?

Polly Pocket

Hi. I am a civil servant with about 30 years service. All 3 of my kids are over 18. My spouse absconded almost 8 years ago, Gardaí traced his credit card movements to Bangkok. He remains in South East Asia to this day, and apart from an odd drunk incoherent phone call, we hear nothing from him. I'm not even sure what country he is in.

My question is:- In the event of my death, how can I prevent him from receiving whatever death benefits I am entitled to? We are technically still married as I have been unable to get an address for him to initiate divorce proceedings.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Polly

Give the person who looks after your pension and Expression of Wishes form. In this, explain that while you are technically still married to this guy, you live apart. You wish for any lump sum to be paid to your children instead. You can go into as much detail as you wish but obviously, the more the trustees know about your situation, the easier it is for them to make the payment to your children and not your husband.

Good luck.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back