Hungary entry to Euro currency

It is still years away - sometime between 2015 - 2020. I don't think it matters anymore. In many ways, they are much better off with the HUF with cheaper exports and self-determination economically. Bizarrely because Hungary had its major economic problems before the global downturn, it is doing much better now than many other European countries.

Hi.

President just sign new constitution where Forint is named as national currency. That means that to join the Euro, you would need a 2/3 majority in Parliament to change constitution and this article in particular. I don't see it coming before late this decade.

I doubt any new countries will join the Euro any time soon. Bulgaria was due to join years ago but that is now on the very long finger.

Has the HUF been pegged to the Euro yet?

That's interesting. The only two countries who have a formal opt out on the Euro are the UK & Denmark, with Sweden a de facto default by not joining ERM II. Everyone else who joined the EU later didn't get the choice, so Hungary formally signed up to the Euro too. Not saying they're likely to switch to the Euro soon, but I don't see how they can now pass a law that confirms the Forint as the only national currency forever, when they are already signed up to the EMU (on the long term).

Back