Hundreds undercharged in tracker fiasco!

Why have we not heard about this already? Any more detail as only some of article can be read via link

Stitcher,

If you register with the Times, you can read a couple of articles for free each week.

Getting back to the story....

The good old permo strikes again :rolleyes:

Interesting that they can't amend the lending rate to the correct loan rate for future interest calculations, whatever about not being permitted to back date a correction.

Every single PTSB customer should be checking their loan agreement and then the rate they are being charged, to see if they are one of the lucky ones benefiting here.

I wonder if the Permo would do a deal with the borrowers involved, to incentivise them to refinance their homeloans ?

I wonder if the Permo would do a deal with the borrowers involved, to incentivise them to refinance their homeloans ?

I haven't read the article.

But why on earth would ptsb try to get a borrower to refinance? They want to keep their customers, not lose them.

Brendan

Could it be tracker mortgages that should be on a buy to let tracker rate.

I doubt it - the article says the borrowers are being charged a lower margin than that specified in their mortgage contracts.

Seems bizarre to me that the Central Bank won't allow PTSB to correct the position.

I haven't read the article.

But why on earth would ptsb try to get a borrower to refinance? They want to keep their customers, not lose them.

Brendan

Hello Mr. Burgess,

My understanding of the situation is that the PTSB have made errors, the result of which is to have placed borrowers on rates which are lower than those specified in their tracker loan agreements. The word from the Central Bank is that they cannot now increase the rates to what the contacts state the rate should be. As such, PTSB are losing out because of their error and hence, there's a reason for them to get the borrowers in question off their loan book.

Here's the article for your convenience:

The Sunday Times said:

Niall Brady

October 29 2017, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

Business

Hundreds gained in tracker fiasco

Hundreds of households have profited from the tracker mortgage scandal, with banks discovering that they have been systematically undercharging interest over many years but barred from doing anything about it.

While banks have so far had to refund more than €160m to customers who were overcharged, their examination of tracker mortgages has also uncovered wide-scale undercharging. This resulted in customers being given lower tracker margins than specified in their mortgage contracts.

In about 40% of the 13,000 cases identified by banks so far, customers were on the wrong tracker rate.

The Central Bank of Ireland said it was unable to identify how many of these errors had worked in the customers’ favour.

It confirmed, however, that banks would not be allowed return them to the correct tracker margin.

“Customers in this position should not be penalised by lenders in any way,” the Central Bank said.

“In circumstances where the interest rate ... was lower than the appropriate tracker interest rate, the lower of the two rates is to be applied to the customer’s account.”

Permanent TSB said it has discovered in its examination that hundreds of its tracker customers have been undercharged.

“We identified a substantial number of customer accounts where errors had occurred but where the errors turned out to be of benefit to the account holders,” it said.

“In such cases the bank decided to leave the position unchanged rather than to redress the error at the cost of the customer.

“We took the decision early on that if the error was in the account holder’s favour we would not correct the situation as to do so would be to the disadvantage of the account holders.

“We estimate that there was a substantial amount of such cases, certainly several hundred.”

Back