Humming noise - mechanic reckons fuel pump

eggerb

I dropped my car into an independent garage today for a service and mentioned an annoying humming noise. The mechanic/garage owner reckoned it to be the fuel filter. He told me that he would give me a call with a price but I never heard from him during the day. When I went to pick up the car the noise was still there, he wasn't and the mechanics there just said they didn't know. I reckon he just could not have been bothered. I'm going to give him a buzz tomorrow or Monday but wondering if somebody could give me an idea what I can expect to pay to replace the fuel pump and/or fuel filter - I'm not 100% certain now what needs to be replaced after reading the article below - maybe both?

Anyhow, if anybody know what cost I'm looking at, I'd appreciate it. Will I end up paying more by dropping it in separately as opposed to having it done as part of a service?

(I've Googled for it tonight and it does sound like the problem discussed here which did turnout to be the fuel pump.)

Can't access your link to the audi forums but humming noise, especially if it appears to be coming from the rear of the car would indicate fuel pump.

What model Audi is it & year? Fuel pumps can be bought & installed by any mechanic, not too much to it. They're not ridiculous money either but will be a couple of hundred euro probably.

Letting your car run down to the empty mark all the time is one reason for fuel pump failing over time.

If your car is the same as the one linked to (A4 2005 B6 1.8T (but not a quattro ?)) then the fix will hopefully be the same (fuel pump & filter)

The fuel pump is likely to be a bog-standard Bosch item so paying main-dealer prices makes no sense - try a Bosch automotive retailer; you'll need the VIN / engine code.

[broken link removed]

If your car is the same as the one linked to (A4 2005 B6 1.8T (but not a quattro ?)) then the fix will hopefully be the same (fuel pump & filter)

The fuel pump is likely to be a bog-standard Bosch item so paying main-dealer prices makes no sense - try a Bosch automotive retailer; you'll need the VIN / engine code.

[broken link removed]

Thanks for the replies all.
Yep - exactly - A4 2005 B6 1.8T.
So, I'm looking at a couple of hundred + an hour or so labour?
Is it something I should have sorted asap or what am I running a risk of if I don't do it straight away?

... Is it something I should have sorted asap or what am I running a risk of if I don't do it straight away?
Its an electro-mechanical device that seems to be wearing out (based on the forum information). It'll eventually fail and may leave you stranded. Anyway, if you have "an annoying humming noise" why would you not try to fix it?

Cost-wise, check with Bosch dealer & mechanic.

It'll eventually fail and may leave you stranded. Anyway, if you have "an annoying humming noise" why would you not try to fix it?

True mathepac. I will have it fixed sooner rather than later. Just hadn't planned on hading out maybe another €300 on top of the service yesterday but probably not much point in leaving it to chance.

Just called a local motor factor to see if I could get a price. He reckoned I could only get the pump through Audi. Probably not the case on the basis of what's being said here.

Anyhow, he was recommending to change the filter first and see if the noise goes away. There is only 60,000km on the clock and he reckoned that it was very early for a fuel pump to go.

I should probably mention that I do have a bad habit of letting the tank run empty before I fill it up! I should knock that habit on the head I reckon!

Try [broken link removed] for VW, Audi, BMW, Merc, Skoda, Seat, etc.

No connection, they know their German car stuff

Tried a good few motor factors and it seems that the part is only available through an AUDI dealer at the moment. Thought I'd pick up a generic part for a 4 year old car but it seems not. Looks like I'll have to had ove the cash to a main dealer.

Back