huge O2 bill and 22GB usage.

sillyaboutmo

Got a bill through today for 158euro. my bill is normally 20.58 per month for 15GB usage. 15+vat.
i looked through the bill and noticed on 3 seperate occasions over 1GB being used.
my history on my laptop is deleted so i cant check the days in question but i know that we dont download music or films so its a mystery to where its come from.

do any of yous know how to retrieve history once its been deleted.

I rang them up and they agreed to deduct 60% of the bill, im happy but id rather pay 20.58 because im sure its a mistake.

MO

loads of providers but dont know if theres a better deal out there and O2 are the best for coverage etc. im happy with their service. been with them for 5 yrs and this is the first time this has happened. ive never went over my usage b4 so to go over by 7GB must be a mistake.

At the least you should be able to see what/when the usage occured using your online summary.

What sort of broadband is it, O2 dongle (mobile broadband), router with wifi etc?

If its a wireless network its possiblel someone may be using it if its not properly secured (using WPA2, as WEP is useless and can be cracked in minutes)

OK well you should be able to check online to see what was doing the downloading, or what day it happened. Alternatively try Googling "Recover internet history"

Might be OS updates, if they’re set to auto update it might be worth unchecking it and only updating somewhere there’s better internet.

If it’s a Windows machine I think the updates generally happen on Tuesdays but tend to be relatively small updates, but it it’s Apple they’re well known for requesting 1G+ downloads any time there’s a minor upgrade of one of their applications.

yip done that already but apparently you cant recover history from mozilla firefox!! tried system restore too but no good. bummer. i know the days it happened, it was 3 separate occasions and over 1GB used each time. that would mean spending 10 hrs online which never happens.

Yeah system updates are a good point, that could use up alot. Also a good point re: Apple/iTunes.

In the first post you said "We dont download movies/music".....are you sure whoever the "we" is doesnt do the above? Makes me wonder why the internet history was deleted.....

just me and my husband. my 2 kids are too young. i deleted the history myself a few wks ago. wont be doing that again!

Mo

That's a huge amount of data to be downloaded without you knowing about. Can't imagine any system update being that big. Dispute it.

You say 'we' and I know you have two young kids but I caught my 2 1/2 year old one time downloading a movie on my iphone (not allowed have phone but got his hands on it). What age are your kids, they may have inadvertantly downloaded a game or something?

You say 'we' and I know you have two young kids but I caught my 2 1/2 year old one time downloading a movie on my iphone (not allowed have phone but got his hands on it). What age are your kids, they may have inadvertantly downloaded a game or something?

hi shoestring,
they are 3 and 5 but they never get near the laptop. i never leave it on unless im using it.

sunny
i know but ive no way of finding out for sure now the history is deleted. i did dispute it and they took 60% of the bill. still would love to find out what happened.

any1 else any ideas?

Mo

username123
thats crazy stuff! at least they got their money back. pity there wasnt some kinda alert when huge data is being downloaded!

anklebiters lol. havent heard that in a while.

seriously though my kids have no interest in the net or my computer. too busy playing outside to be playing online games.

mo

...seriously though my kids have no interest in the net or my computer. too busy playing outside to be playing online games.

mo

You're lucky. I have to password protect everything from the kids, and they watch me to try and guess the passwords. The 4yr guessed the pin on the iPod then told the other kids. I didn't find out for a day or so.

thanks, hope it lasts
but im under pressure to buy a nintendo ds for my 5yo. he's used his cousins and wants 1 from santa. im trying tp out him of till he's 7.

Good luck with that! Mine are so used to touch screens, using a mouse and keyboard baffled the heck out them. Makes you feel soooo old.

You either had something streaming/downloading that you didn't realise, or it was a mistake. Kinda hard to prove if neither you or O2 keep records. I would suggest using your own data counter and put alarms on it. O2 one is unreliable. I don't entirely trust post pay data packages which allow bill shocks to happen.

Back