Huge jump in gas bill

Jack and Jill

Good evening

I’ve just checked my recent gas bills and the latest bill is TEN times the amount of the previous bill!!

A friend told me he had received outlandish bills too in the recent past and thinks it’s because the supplier ( Bord Gais) have not being reading meters for a long time...

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Thanks in advance

J&J

if you notice that your bill is based on an estimated reading, there is nothing to stop you from reading the meter and submitting the reading to the provider. Your bill will then be based on your actual usage.

Imagine if your employer paid you on an estimated amount of hours worked - you would soon correct that

Got my bill yesterday from Flo Gas and I notice that it is an estimated bill again. The amount being charged is way higher than I would expect for a summer reading. I agree that I should be submitting my reading myself but with chasing Ryanair for refunds, hotels for refunds, Ulster Bank to return calls, flat car battery........you know........

Thanks for the replies.

I phoned Bord Gais this morning and they said previous bill were estimated. They didn’t say the gas meter hadn’t been read in a long time though I suspect it hasn’t!!

I wait with eager anticipation the next bill - which should be down again... fingers crossed

J&J

Please please tell me you gave them an updated reading.

It's really is a good habit to get into. Assuming gas prices have gone up over time all those under reported units will be charged at the current rate rather than what it should have been. i.e., ended up costing you more.

I know it's as exciting as watching paint dry but if you recorded your usage then knowing what you use in a year puts you in a much better place to assess the offers on the market. Annual usage combined with bonkers.ie or switcher.ie will reward your efforts with decent savings.

The meter was read in the last (very expensive) bill.

The next bill is due early August so it should be back to normal.

Thanks for the replies.

J&J

Make sure it is by providing them with a timely reading Do not depend on them showing up to take one.

Back