Health Insurance HSE Fairdeal

Scarke

hi not sure if this is the right forum for posting about this but hopefully it is. We are in a difficult situation. My dad remarried 11 yrs ago after my mum died. He is now 81 and in a home and will have to stay there. We are paying for it out of his savings. We are trying to apply for the HSE fair deal scheme and it is my belief from getting advice that his wife's income house etc has to be assessed because they are married. Dad moved into her house when they married but he has a small house that he rents out. Her family say she does not have to be assessed and they are unwilling to sign the forms for us. She had been giving money every month to her two daughters to pay for private schools for their kids. This has being going on for 6 years and we presume this is why they don't want her assessed.
So my question is what can we do? Currently we are paying out 1700 a week!

Thanks

Currently we are paying out 1700 a week!

But are you not paying it out of his savings, so what is the problem?

When the savings run out, sell the investment property and pay the fees from that. That will cover another couple of years.

Brendan

Not a huge amount and Dad could live a long time, his brothers are all still alive in their late 80s. My question is how does he apply for the scheme if she refuses? Doesn't seem to be a solution that I can find

My question is how does he apply for the scheme if she refuses? Doesn't seem to be a solution that I can find

Don’t know the answer to your question, but I’m sure the helpful staff at your local HSE Nursing Home Support Office have come across cases similar to your Dad’s and should be able to advise, their contact details are on the last page of the application form here;

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/nhss/AppForm.pdf

I have contacted them three times and they tell me that as a married couple she must be assessed too....so we are stuck

Would the HSE Nursing Home Support Office put that requirement in writing to you so that you could show her and her family the letter confirming she does indeed have to be assessed.

I hadn't thought of that.....a good idea if my solicitors letter doesn't work!!!

Hi Scarke. Is it not his wife's responsibility to seek appropriate financial assistance for her husband's nursing home care? The family home(PPR), hers, needs to be assessed, plus half combined savings over €72k. Their combined income will be assessed(50% * 80%). His rental property will be assessed at 7.5% per annum. The rent will be assessed as income. Any money your stepmother is giving away as gifts will also be assessed as if it was still there, if given away within 5 years of application. You need to have this conversation with her. It is her responsibility, although it is understandable you are having to do the lifting for your dad. HSE local office has made it clear.

Have you spoken to the owner/person in charge of the home? They may be able to help.
Does his visit?

It is 100% her responsibility to be assessed for her husband but we think the main reason her son objected is because on the form you have to declare what monies you have given to your children in the last 5 years and I think that's the problem. She has given 1400 a month for six years for secondary tuition or at least that's what we were told. Maybe not all of it was for school fees....we don't know...she visits him every day for an hour but I make all arrangements re hospital visits etc she's not fully involved.

Scarke. I gather that their finances are separate and it is your dad's resources that are running down. What will happen when his savings run low? I don't know how you can reconcile the two halves of the family. I wish you well.

Back