HSBC offshore accounts - guaranteed where?

marshmallow

Came across this website [broken link removed] as I'm investigating the idea of opening a sterling deposit account and none of the Irish banks seem to offer the facility with online access (anglo looks good but I don't think they have online access). But the big question is, what's the deposit guarantee situation with HSBC, particularly as they are an offshore bank? Would it fall under the British guarantee?

Deposits made with our offices in the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not protected by the rules made under the UK’s Financial Services and Markets Act for the protection of private customers, including the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. However deposits held in our Isle of Man office are covered by the depositor’s Compensation Scheme contained in the Banking Business (Compensation of Depositors’) regulations 1991.

[broken link removed]

Deposits are protected up to 75% of the first £20,000 per depositor and the Scheme extends to the sterling equivalent of foreign currency deposits. Compensation is not available with regard to secured deposits or deposits which had an original term to maturity of more than five years

[broken link removed]

Cheers for this, the one I was looking at operates from Jersey so it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of protection. A bit risky methinks! :eek:
Shame Anglo doesn't operate one online...

Back