HP Laptop 6005- Good PC?

horusd

PC world have one of these for sale around €640.00. The spec is as follows:

6GB memory & 750 Hard drive.

I have a fairly good Dell laptop with 4GB and 250 hard drive, but I'm thinking of treating myself, as well as future-proofing.

Is this a good deal ? Are HP a good brand? Would I be better waiting until the 8GB memory laptops are cheaper and buy then?

Are HP a good brand? YES, Compaq lineage.

"fairly good Dell laptop" - enuff said ;)

Would I be better waiting until the 8GB memory laptops are cheaper and buy then? - Probably - Depends on your immediate needs and timescale

Hi Horusd,

re the spec - it all depends on what you would be using it for... just an upgrade? If your Dell one is functioning as expected, then maybe you could treat yourself to a new tablet instead... something different / new gadget - pure toy... but it's a treat!

Very cheeky monagt, :p my Dell has seen a fair mileage over the last few yrs, and not a bother. I'm not in any real rush, but it's a nice-looking PC so...?... But thanks for the heads up on HP. Jazz01 I'm not into tablets ! I want a proper keyboard. Call me old fashioned etc...

On thing about Dell, their extended maintenance is efficient, its done by another company and they are good.
Have a Dell (3 years, Medium Use 3 call outs), HP Compaq (6 years Heavy Use, No faults ), MAC book PRO ( 2 years, Medium Use, 1 keyboard fix in dealer first year, now with Ex M)

I'm thinking of treating myself, as well as future-proofing.

Future-proofing seems to be a Dell marketing buzzword. The only thing that future-proofs you is your future cashflow enabling you to buy more and more replacement laptops. If your existing laptop satisfies your needs right now I see no reason to make an expensive purchase of a new one. Especially as they just get cheaper and better almost weekly.

Thanks for bursting me bubble bullworth ;), but you're right and I'll wait. Funny this was, there was a bloke beside me in the shop itchin to hand over 1000 for a 4gb laptop including "insurance". I thought "fools and their money..."

Thanks for bursting me bubble bullworth ;), but you're right and I'll wait. Funny this was, there was a bloke beside me in the shop itchin to hand over 1000 for a 4gb laptop including "insurance". I thought "fools and their money..."

Happy I helped ;)

When I'm not mobile I always take the battery out of my laptop and rely purely on the mains supply. On a laptop expected to last for 3 to 5 years, I find the battery tend to go after a year for most brands and most insurance/warranties don't appear to cover it specifically. When the battery is constantly connected to the mains it appears to wear it out much faster as its constantly recharging as its being used. Perhaps a good tip to avoid disappointment for someone who does get a brand new model.

Just make sure if you're buying a laptop with over 4Gb that its a 64-bit OS.

If not it won't be able to address (use) all that extra memory.

Then you need applications that can use a 64-bit address.

This may assist, but think - "buying new, few bargains".

ONQ.

Okay, so I couldn't resist the buying urge, and replaced my Dell with a Toshiba. It has a 64 bit OS, Window 7,Core i5,HDMI, 4GB, 650 HD, good speakers too. Toshiba is well rated in the Which? magazine survey of laptops. I ended up buying it from Powercity for €630 which I thought was a very good deal compared to prices from PC World for similar machines.

I have to say Powercity can be very good in my experience, both on service and price, and people shouldn't overlook them when buying laptops or other stuff.

Just heard that HP is pulling out of the Laptop or computer market. Some models have also had problems with overheating causing the display card to malfunction.

Just heard that HP is pulling out of the Laptop or computer market. Some models have also had problems with overheating causing the display card to malfunction.

Not quite, they're pulling out of the tablet & WebOS markets.

Nothing announced on notebook/desktop yet, but they have admitted to considering spinning that unit off. Big difference between pulling out and spinning off from a consumer point of view though.
Leo

Frankly is pretty pointless having more than 4gb of RAM in a laptop, it's highly unlikely you will even use 4gb of RAM at any given time. Other components like CPU and GPU would be what would make for better computing/graphical experience.
Toshiba are known as a decent make and reliable, good luck with your purchase!

Back