HP AGREEMENT

S

sheila

My Partner suffers from a serious psychiatric illness which was diagnosed a few months ago. He is now on permanent medication. Earlier this year he was hospitalized for 3 months because of his illness. During the time when he was very ill and before he was diagnosed and hospitalized he signed a HP Agreement. Prior to this I had phoned his Bank and I spoke to the official he usually deals with and made them aware of his condition and the fact that excessive spending was part of his illness. Later I phoned again to inform the bank that he had been hospitalized - I was basically told that it was none of my business because I had nothing to do with the account but they were appreciative of the call. When the HP documents arrived they were dated during a time when my partner was very serious ill in hospital and was definitely of no fit state to make any decision.My partner thinks he signed the documents before he was admitted to hospital but is not 100% sure. He is now left with a loan and a very expensive car which he will not be able to pay for. Can he go back to the Bank and explained his situation or what can he do to help matters. Your advise and help would be really appreciated because this situation is doing nothing to help his recovery.

I think there is an organisation called Mental Health Ireland based in Dublin. I'm not too sure what they do, but I think the give information to people and their family/carers in these situations.

Back