How would landlords feel about being asked for references?

moneygrower

Wondering if I asked a potential landlord for a reference from a previous tenent how they would react?

Well the worst that can happen is that they simply say no so why not just ask?

I am a landlord and would have no problem whatsoever providing a reference if asked.

That said I feel my rental properties are of such a high standard that they should in themselves partly endorse me as a landlord.

Well I'm so good looking that should endorse me as a tenent but it's nice to get second opinions.

I have given tennants who were leaving the area a reference, an employeer gives and employee a reference so, where is the problem?

I think the OP was asking from the other direction.

e.g. I as a tenant pay my landlord for a service. To a certain extent, he is my employee. I pay him and request that he
undertake tasks during the tenancy e.g arrange to repair central heating, fix leaky roof, return my deposit fairly etc.

Should later tenants be allowed, for example, to request a reference from me on how well my landlord performed during the tenancy?

Sorry read it incorrectly, I would have no problem as I always have a list of people waiting to rent my properties, and as my tennants at present are with me 8 yrs, 5 yrs, 3 yrs and two different lots that both waited about 2 years on a list to get houses are now with me over a year.

I renovate my properties to a very high standard as if i was going to live in them myself. It is in my interest to keep them in top shape and not to have many problems, this way I can always ask for top dollar for them - no point in having them otherwise.

Most landlords who have had good tenants have no problem giving a reference. Tenants however, probably forget about the landlord as soon as they move on, so asking them for references is probably futile in at least some cases.

Sorry read it incorrectly, I would have no problem as I always have a list of people waiting to rent my properties, and as my tennants at present are with me 8 yrs, 5 yrs, 3 yrs and two different lots that both waited about 2 years on a list to get houses are now with me over a year.

I renovate my properties to a very high standard as if i was going to live in them myself. It is in my interest to keep them in top shape and not to have many problems, this way I can always ask for top dollar for them - no point in having them otherwise.

You obviously bought your properties some time ago and hence not too geared now. Your enthusiaism might wane a little I'd say if you were contributing to a rental deficit on your properties as many, many, many so called investors out there are .

Yes, I have stopped buying properties at the current prices - I don't consider them an investement if the rent does'nt cover the Mortgage and Life Ass.

I have no problem with one house subsidising the mortgage of another as long as the overall picture is balancing out.

I consider my rental properties as my pension. Therefore investing money into refurbishing them to a high standard to me is an investment for my future.

I would'nt expect anyone else to rent from me a property that I would'nt live in myself.

Well the worst that can happen is that they simply say no so why not just ask?
True but I suppose they could scratch you off the list of people that they want to let to? Maybe discovering early on that a landlord could be that petty is a good thing.

The original poster seems to be a landlord looking for references from other landlords. That was the context in which my answer was couched anyway.

On the area of references, do tenants object to beig asked for references to vet them as suitable and trustworthy tenents. By references I mean last previously paid utility, passport copy and employer references and payslips.

I plan to basically 'interview' potential tenents and give the tenency to the couple I see as the most reliable and honourable as, NHG stated, I will plan to have my apartment furnished and in a state that it was when I lived in it.

I dont want tenents who are going to disrespect the property and undo all that work.

On the area of references, do tenants object to beig asked for references to vet them as suitable and trustworthy tenents. By references I mean last previously paid utility, passport copy and employer references and payslips.
I'm sure that some would and others would not. Basically it's a good test that they meet your specific criteria. If they object then you probably don't want them as tenants. I guess that it's your prerogative to ask for such details as long as you respect privacy (possibly include data protection rules if you store the information somewhere?).

Yes I understand the whole privacy issue, having had my identity stolen from a rental property a couple of years back I am all too familiar of how easy it is to infringe on peoples private data.

I would more than likely cover the documents recieved in the contract, keep them with contracts, destroy/return them at the end of the agreement etc.

I guess I just feel that not every tenant deserves to get a tenancy. Having lived overseas where you had 10 couples viewing an apartment at once, everyone submitting the required documentation and then getting a 'we'll call you'. from the landlord, it created a sense that you were working hard to get something that you would ultimately respect it if you were accepted.

Maybe some people might think that it would be desciminatory to choose one couple over another, but at the end of the day, professional couples are the way to go IMHO.

I have seen a lot of tenants in rentals in past areas I lived before getting on the ladder myself, that I'd wonder if the landlord cared who they let to at all. In my opinion, it would be those kind of tenants that bring areas down, and this affects everybody there, owner occupiers, landlord and good tenants alike.

Maybe some people might think that it would be desciminatory to choose one couple over another, but at the end of the day, professional couples are the way to go IMHO.
That's your prerogative as a landlord as long as you don't breach the relevant equality legislation if applicable I suppose? You are probably doing yourself and the neighbours of adjoining properties a favour by being selective in who you rent to.

I'm sure landlords wouldn't feel too happy to dish out references if their is a lot of
people interested in renting the property in question.
On the other hand if they were finding it difficult to let out the property and an
interested party demanded references then I'm sure they would come up with the
references.

In my opinion references are completely worthless. I think a landlord who has pride
in his rental property should take a little time to get to know any prospective
tennants and make a decision based on his/her own personal opinion of them. If in
any doubt, demand a sizeable deposit.

Anybody can produce an impeccable reference. It certainly wouldn't give me any
piece of mind to let out a property to somebody just based on references.

That's your prerogative as a landlord as long as you don't breach the relevant equality legislation if applicable I suppose? You are probably doing yourself and the neighbours of adjoining properties a favour by being selective in who you rent to.

Agreed, I keep things by the book and would be fair in how I choose tentants by using a non disciminatory set of criteria, just as long as giving a working couple a tenenacy over a state supported couple was not in breach of equality law!

Just to let you know I was asking as a prospective tenent, not a landlord. Thinking of selling up to rent as we need a bigger place and it's cheaper than buying. I was wondering if I had the same right to a reference as the landlord does.
By the by I remember landlords I've had in the past and two would get glowing recommendations, one okay, and one slightly bonkers!

Ah - OK. You as a prospective tenant want a reference for the landlord from a former tenant. I imagine that most landlords would probably tell you where to go and move onto the next prospective tenant who is less hassle for them. However maybe I'm wrong and I guess it depends on how much in demand their place is.

Back