How will Brexit impact on UK stocks?

DavidLuke

Hi all new here, looks like the right place for advice.

Yesterday I had picked out several Investment Trusts, that had seen a decline since the coronavirus, and my assumption was that I would buy these low, and sell high when the recovered. Just as I was about to purchase (all of these were on the London Stock Exchange), I read a notification in Degiro, mentioning something about post Brexit.

My question is, is it a wrong time to purchase Investment Trusts on the LSE?

What's the overall consensus about what is going to happen post Brexit re LSE traded stocks and ITs etc?

David. Please read the posting guidelines.

We do not speculate on stock prices. In case that is what your question is about.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, no I was not speculating on stock prices, sorry if my post came across that way.

Essentially, due to Brexit coming around the corner, what does it mean for an investor from Ireland, wanting to buy ITs on the LSE? What issues may one encounter? Is it smarter to wait until Brexit is settled?

The main reason I ask is that Degiro had this blub mentioning something about Brexit, and I cannot find it again to quote here I'm afraid.

Thanks.

I read it as for now nothing changes but post Brexit your ability to trade these products might change and it outlines the options - close your position etc.

Thanks, so my follow on question is, why 'close your position' and what else by etc? Might be implied. Thanks.

maybe its just a note they just put out to cover themselves so that "you were warned" the possible repurcussions are not our fault. In any case I thought financial services were not part of the withdrawal talks now so in theory should not be affected, thats just my reasoning though.

maybe its just a note they just put out to cover themselves so that "you were warned" the possible repurcussions are not our fault. In any case I thought financial services were not part of the withdrawal talks now so in theory should not be affected, thats just my reasoning though.

In that case you need to read A50.3 again:

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

The EU is rule based, so that means that unless agreed otherwise, the UK loose all it's current rights including financial service. That means that the UK will move to the exact same status as say the US, with the same complications.... The issue is the what interpretation of "offering a service" will mean in practice. Clearly they can't advertise their services within the EU/EEA/CH, but if you acting on your own initiative contact them and they open an account for you, agree to sell you some financial product etc.. does that constitute "offering their services"

I know that a few UK financial firms have had a rude awakening in Switzerland in the last few weeks, as the realized they will have no to do business in Zurich after the end of the year because they were doing so via the bilateral agreements and conventions between the EU and Switzerland.

Earlier this month. as a Swiss customer, I received notice from Amazon that from 01.01.2021, I must make all purchases via Germany or France, as they have decided they will not process UK/EU/CH VAT out of the UK any more.

I am very concerned that we are going to have some very rough times in the next couple of months as the meaning of BREXIT starts to hit home.

The EU is rule based, so that means that unless agreed otherwise, the UK loose all it's current rights including financial service. That means that the UK will move to the exact same status as say the US, with the same complications....
thats fair enough but it deals more with how UK financial institutions will be treated with regard to european financial assets they might hold or trade. However even if the UK becomes a "third country" like the US Canada or Australia it doesn't preclude me as an irish investor holding US or Canadian shares. There is no problem buying or selling these assets on Degiro now so why would it be any different for UK shares. Switzerland is not in the EU but there is no problem buying Swiss shares in fact many irish investors to their detriment have holdings in Arytza .

I read the Degiro notice as things will mostly stay the same. However you will no longer be able to trade any share on a UK exchange if the company is also listed on an EU exchange (unless the UK gets equivalence). So the likes of Ryanair, TSB and a good number of other Irish companies. Degiro provide a link of shares they are aware of but I can't post the link.

As a student of comparative British and American Politics, 2016 was an interesting year to say the least.

Like many people, I couldn't quite believe what was happening. It all seemed surreal, and I kept asking myself, why would people believe this nonsense? We subsequently found out that it was as a result of sophisticated manipulation of social media with large numbers of people being exploited through a campaign of lies and deceit with echoes of Orwell's 1984 or the 1930s.

I set out my own thoughts about Brexit, which on reflection now seem like Gallows humour, just before the result which I have reproduced below
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-have-immigrants-ever-done-us-marc/

As a student of British government and politics my initial reaction to Cameron offering a Referendum on the EU was that it was a shrewd political move that allowed the readers of the Daily Mail an opportunity to have a whinge, but with little risk of an actual decision to leave.

Let's face it, the Scots spectacularly failed to vote for independence, so what’s the harm?

Then it all got a bit hot under the collar and, at times, it looked like the leave side might actually win.

The debate has clearly polarized the UK between the tangible issue of the economy and a classic reactionary attack on immigration.

So, at the risk of introducing some more unwanted facts into an increasingly emotional debate, I thought it might help to point out a few of the more amusing ironies.

My favourite being that; should the vote call for an exit from the EU it might be necessary to obtain the consent of the monarch (whose Father was a German) to assent to various bills. Naturally this would require the parliamentary procedure of the phrase, “La Reine le vault” or the Queen desires it, being repeated in Norman French in House of Commons.

Having moved to the Republic of Ireland myself from the UK and given that it is the hundredth anniversary of the Easter Rising this year, I also can’t help but point out that the indigenous peoples of the British Isles were in fact The Celts and therefore the people potentially most entitled to express their views on Britain’s role in Europe are the Scots and the Irish since everyone else is technically a Johnny Foreigner.

So, as a reminder of how immigration has actually enriched the United Kingdom and in no particular order here are some quintessentially British institutions that simply would not exist without immigration:

The monarchy (German - House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha)

Bank of England (Dutch)

Marks and Spencer (Jewish)

The pound (Roman) - In fact this is a beautiful irony because a "pound" of metal was actually recognised across the Roman Empire and could be used for goods and services in Gaul or Italy - the first European Single Currency if you like.

The English Language is comprised of French, German, Latin, Danish and a whole host of other influences.

The 1959 classic car the Mini, was designed by Alec Issigonis, who was an asylum seeker. His family were Greek.

The National dish is the Curry, from India......

I could go on but I think you should get the picture.....

It seemed funny at the time, but increasingly that joke isn't funny anymore.

Now, we are about to reach the point of no return and as they say the "chickens are coming home to roost''. I actually found myself walking around a Supermarket recently stocking up on HP Sauce and Coleman's Mustard. You can take the man out of etc......

There is going to be disruption no doubt about it, and in our business, we have been preparing for the various possible outcomes for the last few years.

As an investor, our advice to you is always that you should ignore the crises du jour as I set out in my guide to Brexit sometime ago.

The world is always lurching from one crisis to another and investors should try to ignore the noise.

This has actually been good for our business in the short-term with many Brexit refugees now becoming clients.

A big question for retail investors who were regulated out of purchasing non-EU ETFs by the PRIIPS regulations is what do you do now that a UK Investment Trust will now be a "complex investment" on many retail investment platforms.

Hi

I have a share account with Interactive Investor (UK based company)
I'm wondering has anyone received notifications from them re any effect to their account due to Brexit?

I have another share account with IG (also a UK based company) and they have informed their Irish customers that their share dealing account will be switched to Closings only from tomorrow and accounts to be closed by 31 March. I plan to open up a Degiro account and transfer these shares over.

I phoned Interactive Investor to check how would my account be affected by Brexit on 1st January for an Irish resident and was told that they are no longer accepting new accounts from Ireland but will keep existing ones.

I'm now feeling angsty as to whether I should hold tight or sell all my holdings with them today or tomorrow just in case?
We don't know exactly what might happen on Jan 1st.
My share holdings with Interactive Investor are all in Canadian companies.

Any opinions on this appreciated

I phoned Interactive Investor to check how would my account be affected by Brexit on 1st January for an Irish resident and was told that they are no longer accepting new accounts from Ireland but will keep existing ones.
But sure you have until 31 march to close the account with IG so you have plenty of time, then just transfer your holdings to Interactive Investor as you can maintain that account.
I'd say that IG are the exception in forcing you to close your account, I have a UK based brokerage account aswell and havn't heard anything like that. If I was you I would maintain those accounts if at all possible as they will be more advantageous in the future similar to how US brokerage accounts are now for those who held onto them like myself.
This is only an opinion by the way, Im not an expert.

Hi

I have a share account with Interactive Investor (UK based company)
I'm wondering has anyone received notifications from them re any effect to their account due to Brexit?

I have another share account with IG (also a UK based company) and they have informed their Irish customers that their share dealing account will be switched to Closings only from tomorrow and accounts to be closed by 31 March. I plan to open up a Degiro account and transfer these shares over.

I'm now feeling angsty as to whether I should hold tight or sell all my holdings with them today or tomorrow just in case?
We don't know exactly what might happen on Jan 1st.
My share holdings with Interactive Investor are all in Canadian companies.

Any opinions on this appreciated
I’m in the same boat here. Have a portfolio with IG and will be set to closings only from tomorrow . Was planning on opening a degiro account and doing a transfer before 31st March. Ig aren’t charging for the transfer but degiro do. Any other alternatives ??

Back