How to write a proposal for a work sponsored college course

Sully1

Hi there,

Not sure if I am in the right forum but here goes, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Mr. Sully works in IT (doing a helpdesk role atm) but he wants to become some type of engineer to do with computer networking, repairing pcs, providing support etc. There is the potential of being able to do this role within his company and he has expressed this interest to his boss.

He went to the open night in college last night and saw a course he was interested in.

He spoke to work and to obtain 'sponsorship' for this course, he has to put together a proposal. Neither of us have ever writen one and am looking for any advise/guidance that you can provide as to what should be included or even a website that could help.

Thanks a mil for any tips you can provide!

What you really need to do is think in terms of what it would take to convince the company that there's a value (to them) of paying for your husband's education - you need to convince them that there's a return to them for the the investment they're making.

In terms of broad structure, you could perhaps describe the course; its relevance to the employers; the skills that would be acquired as a consequence; the potential use to which those skills could be applied in the company; the ultimate benefit to the company (e.g. higher productivity,) from having those skills within the company, etc.

You might also speak about the personal attributes of your husband e.g. the commitment he would show in completing the course (refer to any previous experience or examples of where commitment was shown, etc.) A compnay would be less likely to pay for an expensive programme if there was a risk you'd quit in the middle of it.

The company will probably be concerned about the possibility of him leaving for a better job with his new qualifications. You might want to address this, perhaps by having a phased committment that he would refund some part of the cost of the course if he leaves within 2-3 years.

Back