How to will foreign assets?

octo

Hi Folks

My wife is from abroad (non-EU) and has property and bank accounts there. Does she need to make a will in her home country, as well as back here in Ireland? Any advice much appreciated.

In general a will that is valid in the country it is made will be valid in other countries. So a will made validly in Ireland will be valid in many other countries and vice versa. However when you make a will in ireland you will get some irish legal and tax advice which may not translate to other countries. Whichever you choose you should inform the solicitor of your intention regarding assets in other jurisdictions so that they can cover that in the will, even if that means just confirming that the will does not relate to property abroad.

I have some experience of this also........

The advice i received from a number of different Solicitors is to have a different will for each jurisdiction covering the assets of each. It needs to be clear on each will that they are not cancelling or superceding each other.

Apparently one of the main advantages of having separate wills is that they can go through probate concurrently. If there is just one will it needs to go through probate in each jurisdiction consecutively and can take a lot of time.

A sibling (in the UK, not Ireland) got some advice on this from a UK solicitor this week -- they strongly recommended a separate will in each jurisdiction where foreign property is involved.

Back