How to verify a funeral

rogeroleary

I have an employee who was on leave due to a family bereavement a few weeks ago. Because of the location of the funeral nobody was in a position to attend from the company.

Sadly, I now have reason to question this bereavement and unfortunately the more I research this looking to corroborate her story the more unlikely it appears.

I am now wondering if there is a definitive list of funerals for a particular date as I am getting quite a sickening feeling about this having advised my employee to take "as long as necessary" before returning to work?

Any advice would be appreiciated.

Roger

where do you live?

if it's rural, most local radio stations/local newspapers will have details of deaths and funeral arrangements.

Last edited:
Even if the employee was telling the truth, there seems to be a underlying trust issue here - that won't go away that easily. Is this the first time you have had an issue with her, did something happen e.g. someone spotted her out partying or something to make you suspicious?

RIP.ie is definatly worth a look if you know the name of the deceased. Local papers carry obituaries. If you're unsure of the name, ask the person in question for a name and address so that you can send the family a card.

Its hard when you can't trust an employee, and unfortunatly sometimes things do need further investigation.

RIP.IE don't seem to be updated.
I went to a funeral last week and the deceased person do not appear on their website. If it is a recent burial, I will not bother with this website

Local Flower shops might know - I went to a funeral a few weeks ago and wanted to know if flowers were allowed and they had a list at the time and could tell me.

The standard leave would be about 3 days for family, is your disquiet because you genuinely feel they are lying or because you for whatever reason of your own said "take as long as you need" and they appear to be taking you at your word?

A lot of people choose to return to work or whatever routein they have in the week following the burial as they sometimes find it emotionally easier if they are occupied, but if the Employee lives far away from their place of Employment or have new responsibilities after the death they may sometimes feel obliged to stay in the family home for a protracted period.

the standard leave would be about 3 days for family, is your disquiet because you genuinely feel they are lying or because you for whatever reason of your own said "take as long as you need" and they appear to be taking you at your word?

A lot of people choose to return to work or whatever routein they have in the week following the burial as they sometimes find it emotionally easier if they are occupied, but if the employee lives far away from their place of employment or have new responsibilities after the death they may sometimes feel obliged to stay in the family home for a protracted period.
+1

SandraT - you have an option to click on the "Public Death Register" which is free & works.

Frash better to filter by "Dublin" as opposed to "South Dublin City".
It is only a filter and depends on how the information is entered.
How many people write therir address as "south Dublin city" ??

Yesterday's death are listed .

RIP

Hello - my sister and I operate RIP.ie and I was dismayed to see that Samantha felt we do not update the website on a regular basis. We are the most comprehensive listing for death notices in Ireland and the content is updated throughout each day.

Each funeral director can add death notices to the site in real time, free of charge. If you do not see your local funeral director adding his notices we would urge you to ask your funeral director to make use of this facility to make it a better service for everybody.

Hello - my sister and I operate RIP.ie and I was dismayed to see that Samantha felt we do not update the website on a regular basis. We are the most comprehensive listing for death notices in Ireland and the content is updated throughout each day.

Each funeral director can add death notices to the site in real time, free of charge. If you do not see your local funeral director adding his notices we would urge you to ask your funeral director to make use of this facility to make it a better service for everybody.

I used to check in on this site also & found it very useful.... however likewise I was checking on a funeral to attend to but it was not on the web site (still isn't either).

Back