How to tell kids that we are getting rid of the dog.

Get them a playstation 3, say it was a present from the dog and he has to emegrate to Australia to get a job. Once they have a few games they'll be grand. On the other hand, how you handle this will be remembered by your child for the rest of their life. Its a tough one. Whatever you do, make sure the dog goes to a good home and tell your child you can visit at any time.

Yea, always tell the truth;
"Is Grandad in heaven mammy?"
"No son, he's just rotting in the ground and when you die the same thing will happen to you. Sleep tight now..."

Hahaha. ROFL! I'm sorry but I think in this instance the farm story is much more appropriate. Speaking as a Daddy myself.

Sometimes small kids just can't handle the truth.

OKAY!

We rehomed the dog. I found a family who were delighted to take puppy off our hands. I downloaded a photo of a litter of puppies and showed it to my kids. I told them that this was Buster's brother and sisters who live on a farm in Clare and Buster wants to rejoin them.

Buster is sending us 2 goldfish in return.

I told a white lie. I had to. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Glad to hear all is ok now, good result in the end ...

By the way, hope Buster sends two generic looking goldfish that are easy to replace... :)

Speaking from experience, when we were children, our dog had to be "given away". He was given to a nice farmer with loads of rabbits that he could chase all day.
Of course, many years later we know that this was not true, he in fact had to be put down. I remember crying when they were taking him away, but do remember telling everyone after that he was having great time playing with rabbits in his new home. No long term psychological damage done ..............! My parents did the right thing and I think you did too.

Back