How to take care of a 3 month old kitten, recently acquired

Bronte,

I would be very careful the workmen don't let the kitten out by accident and close the door when they leave, leaving it stuck outside. Do you think they will keep an eye on it?

It was part of the deal when they started work, and they like the cat. But I'm aware of what you're saying.

Maybe you could suggest to them they confine in a section of the house with food, water and litter tray while they are working, and just let it into rest of house when they leave each day.

2 or 3 days is fine but more than that I'm happier putting them in a cattery.

Contrary to popular opinion, cats do miss their owners when they are away! And if it's a child's pet, better safe than sorry.

Going away went very well for the cat. We've decided not to let him outside at all as our neighbours cat got killed. It would be too traumatic for the children. He has escaped a couple of times to much unneeded drama and stress. No accidents since those at the beginning. All the furniture is ruined but kids are happy.

Goes with the territory Bronte. My stair carpet is destroyed by my cat sharpening his claws on almost every step! I only got it laid down last year :-(

Get cat trees & scraping posts for around the house. The trees are big, but our maine coon never goes out so it's her play house/sleeping quarters! She doesn't scrap any furniture or anything. I have 2 other cats too, they don't scrape either, as they have a scratch post too. Curtains sometimes get caught in the coonies grip!

I have a scratching post but he walks straight past it to the stairs! He has never shown the slightest interest in them, and looks at me as much to say, 'don't think that's going to distract me, you foolish woman' I even tried rubbing capnip on the post, but nope, he still prefers the carpet. I have another cat who even though he uses the scratching post regularly, still loves sharpening his claws on all my dressers, cupboards and chair legs!

It's lucky I love them so much :)

Back