How to store newly cut logs

NewEdition

I cut down some bushes and the trunks were quite thick so I cut them up and intend to burn them in the fire.
I have been told not to burn them for at least a year as the wood will still be moist and the burning sap will cause chimney problems.

How long should I keep them for and how should they be stored?
Somewhere dry? Exposed to the elements etc?

if it were me i would stack them against a wall, if its a lot of wood place a tarp over it. If you have room in a shed even better.

If you search log stacks on google images you'll get some spectacular examples from around the world.

Plenty of guidance online including [broken link removed] and this. Aldo do a cheap enough moisture detector every now and then that will be good enough to measure and ensure you are below 20%.

If you're anyway handy with some tools, try the web site "Pinterest", Great storage ideas for such matters.

Hi
As your earlier respondents have stated, there is lots of info on this available on the internet. Storing logs is simple but a few basics need to be remembered. Cover them from on top, either in an open shed or with a tarpaulin so that rain cannot penetrate and stack them in a way that air can circulate through the logs. Otherwise they will go mouldy and not dry correctly. An open fronted leanto structure is ideal that protects from the rain but allows the wind to blow through the stack. It can take two years for logs to air dry properly so many people cut a supply annually and once sufficient time has elapsed, they can start using them in rotation. Alternatively, you can purchase kiln dried logs to get started until your own are ready for use.

A lot of the online advice about seasoning firewood comes from Scandinavia or the USA. However, they don’t have a climate like ours. We get so much rain, and not just rain, it’s the damp! Even when we’ve snow or frost it’s never really crisp, it’s still damp.
I was in the Dolomites skiing once and it was -20 ‘C by day. One night I took a walk around the town, it was -27 ‘C. But it was crisp and comfortable.
It was a mere -2 ‘C here (Cork) a few days ago and it was not crisp and comfortable, it was damp and miserable. Real penetrating cold.
But I digress....
I’ve tried seasoning firewood outdoors but I’ve just about given up. Unless the wood is stacked against a sheltered wall, on a sloped footpath, covered with a sheet of galvanised steel, forget about it.
A tarp on top isn’t enough to protect against traditional Irish sideways rain. And the rain that misses it and lands nearby will bounce up after ricocheting off the ground. Fully covering with a tarp will lead to mould. And the wind will probably rip the tarp within twelve months anyway.
I use an old airy shed to dry my fresh firewood. These are large branches and boughs and some split trunks.
Then when it’s sawn and chopped down to fire-size logs I put it in a metal shed at the back of the garage. I’ve a few pallets standing on edge to form a box. Then I just lob the logs in there. I don’t bother stacking them, just fling them in a heap. That way there is plenty of gaps for air to circulate, seasoning the logs as completely as possible. I’ve one of those Aldi moisture meters but I don’t use it too much. If the log feels heavyish then it’s too fresh. If it feels lightout, then it’s good to burn.

Back