How to stop being directed to local version of a website?

gianni

Hi all, I'm trying to access the UK version of a website to see what the sterling price is for a specific product. But I am automatically diverted to the Irish site...

I put in the .co.uk suffix and it diverts to the .ie one. Not being very technically minded I don't know how to stop it doing this! I'm sure there is an easy fix for this, if anyone can suggest something I'm all ears ...

It's probably either based on OS/Browser regional/language settings or by tracing the country your IP address resides in.

If using Windows XP, try going to Control Panel >> Regional & Language Options. On the first tab there is dropdown for Location, probably set to 'Ireland'. Set to UK and restart machine.

If based on IP, there are sites that will anonymise your IP basically by acting as a proxy which might work (can't think of the name right now though, try searching).

You might also clear your cookies (or cookies for this site) as they may have cached something the first time it re-directed for future performance.

Do a web search for terms like "GeoIP", "GeoLocation", "redirection" etc. and you should find something relevant.

Back