How to spell "store room"?

zoe

If spelling "store room" in British English, not American English, is the correct spelling "store room" as opposed to "storeroom"?

I'd have thought it was the former, though my spell checker insists it's the latter.

Thank you

I would say store room is correct British English.

Storeroom looks wrong to me - and it looks American too IMO. I can't say I've ever seen it here.

Are you sure your spellchecker isn't US? (or is that spell checker)

Are you sure your spellchecker isn't US? (or is that spell checker)

I'm not sure. I'm writing in a Microsoft "Word" document.

How do I check if it's set to American or British English? Perhaps this is a question for the I.T. scetion.

Am I missing something here, seems they are both spelt the same its more a question of whether its two words or one!

storeroom n

1 a room in which things are stored

2 room for storing

English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus
Would you teach in a class room? Go to the bath room?

In MS Word, check under the Tools/Language menu. You can also opt to display the language in the toolbar at the bottom of the window.

Or should that be tool bar? ;)

In MS Word, check under the Tools/Language menu. You can also opt to display the language in the toolbar at the bottom of the window.

Thanks for that. I went to the Tools/Language menu and it's set to English (United Kingdom).

If spelling "store room" in British English, not American English, is the correct spelling "store room" as opposed to "storeroom"?

I'd have thought it was the former, though my spell checker insists it's the latter.

Thank you

It might be "broom closet" in American, if its small enough.

:)

ONQ.

Ok, well whilst I see and accept DrM's logic - and dictionary references - I still think storeroom simply looks wrong.

Something to do with two Rs being in close proximity maybe.

I have a few other personal twists, quirks and takes on the English language which defy accepted protocol and usage but I'm sticking with them. :p

We've noticed that you occasionally end your sentences with a preposition, Caveat. That's something on which you should really keep an eye. ;)

Back