How to sell UK share (certificates) easily

tiddlerz

Hi

looking for some advice on how to sell some Uk paper shares

i emailed degiro and i cannot add them to an account they say

actually they are in my mothers name so i cannot use my goodbody account either

to set up goodbody or davy seems like an expensive way to sell?

do i have any other options??

many thanks

p

I found the best for dealing in private clients is Campbell O'Connor. They do not stick up their noses at share certs.

Brendan

Just like & I need to sell shares that are in cert form except they are US shares. I'm not sure how valid the certs are at this stage as some companies have been taken over/ merged. Does anyone have recent experience of selling shares in cert form for private clients?
TIA

Last edited:
TIDDLERZ - if shares are registered in your mother's name, then SHE must sell them.

Depending on the share holding you can either sell your certificate shares using Equiniti or sharewatch share dealing services.
The company in which your mother has shares in have a share dealing company. You can set an account up online to sell the shares although it will need to be in ur mothers name. You can assist. The share reference number associated with the shares is used to find the share holding when setup.
You can even sell the shares at todays price. The share dealing company wont release the funds of the share sale until you forward the share cert and certified identification of your mum.
If you photocopy the passport and get it certified and stamped by the guards that will do.

I should add, you can provide bank account details to get the transfer made to although the shares are in sterling so if transferred to a euro account your mother could lose quite a bit in exchange rates charges etc. Even cross border fees. If your mother has a sterling account that would make it easier. Your mother can get a cheque made out but again it will be in sterling and if lodging a sterling cheque into a euro account there are charges

Apologies, shareview equiniti (not sharewatch) -
Go to equiniti website for uk contact-us/shareholder-enquiries/

The share holding would have to be associated with equiniti though.

Equiniti charge very high fees to sell shares, 1.5% for certs, 1% for electronic format up to £50,000 and .25% for the remainder. I tried to set up an account with UK company Jarvis Investment Management with much more reasonable fees but they rejected me as not a UK resident or tax payer. There transaction charges are as low as £9.50 a trade. I wonder is there another option closer to the Jarvis fees?

Can anyone tell me if Sharewatch are still in business? Tried dialling 1890 646649, but told the No dialled is not available. Want to sell shares for self and her good self to avail of tax free allowance. Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to sell cetificated UK shares at the moment as part of an Estate. Equiniti fees are now 1.9%. Computershare fees are 1% but they claim they can no longer sell shares of Irish residents due to Brexit. Equiniti have no Brexit concerns. The Equiniti shareholdings are small so I'll probably go with them anyway. I'll probably transfer the Computershare shares into my name and sell them in Ireland. When I looked recently, Cantor Fitzgerald were the cheapest.

Back